Found this. Sounds like fun.

Bet you're glad you didn't get that Tears For Feats tattoo back then then Ocean? ;\)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

One of the businesses booming (along with the medical profession and pharmaceuticals thanks to the "hepatitis C-tattoo" alliance) as a consequence of the tattoo-craze is the dermatology industry. According to the American Society of Dermatological surgery, over 50% of everyone receiving a tattoo wants it removed.

Tattoo removal via laser surgery is among the fastest growing areas of the dermatology industry.

Depending on the size of the tattoo and colors used, the laser tattoo removal surgery can be very painful and very expensive. Tattoos performed by commercial tattoo parlors are much more difficult to remove because the tattoo is deeper, the ink more complex and thicker. It normally takes between 10 and 15 laser surgery sessions to remove the average tattoo, but 25-30 sessions are not uncommon, depending on the complexity of the tattoo. When you consider the average single session costs between $400 - $800, the removal surgery can be very expensive, costing as much as $20,000. That $25 tattoo might cost $5000 to remove. And may I remind you, health insurance does not cover tattoo removals – this is strictly out of the pocket expenses. And yet despite this enormous personal cost, most people are so disgusted with their tattoo they’ll literally pay any cost to have it removed.

Plastic Surgeon Tolbert S. Wilkinson, of San Antonio, Texas, who has removed tattoos warns:

"If people only realized how difficult it is to remove a tattoo, understood how costly and how painful tattoo removal is, and recognized that society as a whole still views tattoos as a stigma, maybe they would think seriously before getting one.

Laser removal costs a minimum of $7,000.00 (national average) per tattoo, and takes at least 10 to 15 treatments, spread out over two or more years. Even with this treatment, the tattoo is still visible." http://www.heloise.com/tattoo.html

Tattoo author Laura Reybold, writes that ". . .an ever rising number of people are so unhappy with their tattoos that they are willing to pay anything to have them removed."

"Yet an ever rising number of people are so unhappy with their tattoos that they are willing to pay anything to have them removed. Tattoo removal laser surgery is becoming big business for the dermatologists who perform it."

(Laura Reybold, Everything you need to know about the dangers of tattooing and body piercing, p. 30)

Ronald Scutt, says in Art, Sex and Symbol that even among sailors in the Royal Naval, over 50% regretted ever getting a tattoo. And among the married it rose to over 70%

"From the statistics of the Royal Naval survey, the most significant factor to emerge was almost certainly the incidence of regrets. Out of the whole sample, more than half admitted that they wished they had never been tattooed. In the married group, the figure rose to around 70 per cent."

(Ronald Scutt, Art, Sex and Symbol, 1974, p. 179)

One article claims that as many as 80 percent of people with tattoos regret their tattoo.

Quote:
Originally posted by yamayamayama:
You know what, I probably would (and do) discriminate against people with tattoos, and I am sure many people do - even if they don't/won't admit it. It says much more about the wearer than many other things do.

So on my holiday this year I was sitting out in the surf or in the warungs after a surf and the guy next to stuck up a bit of a conversation. What you are saying is that you (yamax3) would instantly discriminate against this guy and think that he was an idiot? That's the biggest load of rubbish that I have ever heard!
Everyone in entitled to an opinion, but to judge a person just because they have a tatt is I think just as "stoopid" as people who discriminate against people who have a different skin color.

The only point that I can agree with you is to those people that got those bad tattoos ( like on the linked site) If you were going to get a tatt it would be "stoopid" not to see actual live work that the artist has done before.

I wouldn't take an instant dislike to him or have any other strong emotion - don't get me wrong, I don't really care and don't get worked up about it at all - but the fact that he wanted to put permenant graffiti on his body would make me wonder about 'the person', yes. Absolutely completely different to issues such as skin color, etc.

Quote:
That's the biggest load of rubbish that I have ever heard!
You must lead a very sheltered life. ;\)
 Quote:
Everyone in entitled to an opinion, but to judge a person just because they have a tatt is I think just as "stoopid" as people who discriminate against people who have a different skin color.
:rolleyes:
You seriously believe that?
Go on, read it again.

About that book cover judging thing...... I tried to do that when I saw someone in the UK with a "baka" (kanji) tattoo on their neck. I had to agree.

• 2 years later...

my sister-in-law's partner has some lovely colourful tatts. one of them is a japanese style koi in a vibrant blue, with a very colourful yellow and red background. it's quite arty and it looks good. he fancies himself as pretty tough and a bit of a gangsta, and this tatts seems to add to his image.

but whenever he's out in the sun he's super careful to keep it covered up, so it (apparently) doesn't fade. the other day we were out on a boat, and while most of us were swimming and snorkelling, he was sitting around looking sullen, with a ridiclous handkerchief tied around his arm. nice look!

Quote:
Originally posted by window-cleaner:
Why are tattoos always that dirty colour looking - dirty greys, dirty reds, etc. Why not some lovely fluoro pinks and greens and generally brighter colours?
weare dealing with the human body here. even if this e colors are possible, it might not be desireable to have the chemicals that produce those colors in your body.

and like it was stated before, they fade. Not always a bad thing, i knew a snowboader that had a realistic maple leaf tattooed between his shoulder blades, and he purposefully faded it, and now it looks like a natural part of his skin, not obtrusive at all, it looked quite natural.
 Quote:
and now it looks like a natural part of his skin, not obtrusive at all, it looked quite natural.
Don't know why that just made me laugh out loud. lol.gif Just don't get it. Each to his own I suppose.

A young American truly in love with his girlfriend decided to have her name tattooed on his penis, her name was Wendy, and the tattoo was done while the penis was erect, so when it was not erect all you could see was W Y. Shortly after the couple was married and they were honeymooning in Jamaica, the man was in a bathroom in Jamaica, and standing next to him was a Jamaican man who also had a W Y on his penis.

The American said to him "Oh is your girl named Wendy too?"

The Jamaican replied, "No, Mon that says, 'Welcome To Jamaica Have a Nice Day'".

lol.gif

Ok, my West Indian story (true). When I was at school, I had a Saturday job in a shop. One Saturday, the drivers went on strike without warning. One bus came through, returning to the depot, and I got to work. Later in the day, a very large West Indian in a navy blue uniform with red piping came into the shop. A tiny middle aged lady had a good go at him about going on strike. He weathered the storm and then said with great dignity: "Lady, I aint on de busses, I'm a postman".

Quote:
Originally posted by rach:
Just don't get it. Each to his own I suppose. [/QB]
you would have to see it, his back was all frecklesn and had a bit of a tan.

the maple leaf was in faded reds, oranges, and browns, not so far off from all the freckles.
Plus, it was a rather organic-looking leaf, no staright lines or anything.

i just thought that it was one of the best (and tasteful) tats i've ever seen.

Nice stories lol.gif

Not a fan myself but there's one dude back home that has tattoos on more than half of his face and his hands. He also has lots of piercings in his nose, eyebrows, tongue and lips as well.

He looks a total dick*.

(Wouldn't mess with him though!!)