Got dragged along to the wifes nephews undokai (sports festival) today. I was horrified at the high number of fat porky kids, I dont mean chubby I mean obese! I never really noticed such high numbers before.

Japan is following the lead of western nations with a high percentage of obesity rife in the general public.

The sedentary playstation, maccas and snaku generation is coming.....

anyone else notice a rise in overweight primary school kids?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, same with me yesterday. Got a huge 3rd year high school kid who didnt feel comfortable running around and was crying in the teachers room for 2 hours with his homeroom teacher. Weird stuff. Then, his parents came in and no wonder... they looked like they lived at McDonalds and Mos Burger eek.gif eek.gif

It's sad when you can clearly see that a kid is fat because the way it's parents teach them about food.

I just got back from my son's undoukai and I am happy to report that there weren't any heffers there! ( maybe they stayed at home?)

Quote:
Originally posted by taguchi:
It is sad that children are getting much bigger. I don't think that Mos Burger should be accused of any guilty for this though.
Why not Taguchi? Aren't they in the same business as the others? Some are just bigger ( companies that is)
or is that because mos burger is Japanese and only companies from abroad make people fat wakaranai.gif

Mos burger have priced themselves out of the over-eating market, and I doubt that their food has the high-saturated fat (animal fat and palm oil) and high fructose content that other fast food has. I think Mr Donut would be a more likely candidate there.

There's a piano school inside our housing estate (which you can walk right across in less than 5 minutes in any direction), and people from within the estate drive to their lesson. It's not only a problem of food - it's also gross lack of exercise. Kids used to come to our house after school with snacks and game consoles and just sit around. Our kid, who's been brought up to be active, got bored of it all and told them not to come any more. I notice that his old group of friends are starting to round out, while he is now gristle and muscle.

Mos burger was our meeting place after school everyday when I was a high school student...

We have too much processed food everywhere.

I don't like fast food or convenience store now because I know what we eat is very very important. I enjoy cooking at home. But there are many adults who don't care about food and our world. I hope Japanese people enjoy slow food more. We have lots of good food in Japan.

Is Mos Burger any worse than any other restaurant in your area - ramen, yakiniku, tonkatsu etc??

Surely moderation and balance is whats important.

Quote:
Originally posted by rach:
Is Mos Burger any worse than any other restaurant in your area - ramen, yakiniku, tonkatsu etc??

Surely moderation and balance is whats important.
Agreed but do you think Japanese, in general, who are baka about everything western, understand balance and moderation? Especially the younger generation. I dont.

Like Slow said, many many high school kids hang out at fast food restaurants after school. How many hostesses, before going to work at night, can be seen in the windows of fast food restaurants eating junk food while perming their hair, putting on make up, plucking their eyebrows, etc...

Im doing a lesson right now on dieting and exercise with my kou 2 right now and in todays class survey, out of 43 boys, half eat fast food at least twice a week. Maybe Im the only one who would overreact to that wakaranai.gif
 Quote:
Originally posted by taguchi:
I don't think that Mos Burger should be accused of any guilty for this though.
I think what this was supposed to say is that people should control themselves and realize that fast food is not good for you.

Is McD's, BK, A&W, Wendys, TacoBell etc. etc. responsible for the western world's growing wasteline.
HELL NO!!!!!!!
It's our responsibility

In that book I read recently about why Americans are overweight, it said that drinking even 1 soda a day is likely to cause a child to become overweight due to the action of the fructose in the soda. I guess having drinks machines everywhere is not going to help, although a lot of those in Japan serve drinks with neither sucrose nor fructose at all.

The fast food outlets may not ultimately be morally responsible, but their marketing strategies are carefully targeted to get people hooked on that kind of food early, and they are aware that what's in it isn't good for you. Ultimately it's poor and ignorant people who end eating it, and getting fat.

"I think what this was supposed to say is that people should control themselves and realize that fast food is not good for you."

Well, that wasn't my point really although I do agree about fast food. My meaning was that I don't think Mos Burger is really the same as McDonalds and other fast food (including Japanese one). I don't think that it is so bad, and no worse than many ramen shop and famiresu etc like somebody else also saying (And they are not so fast withorder also!!)

If people are foolish and eat too much then it is their fault.

Also my comment has nothing to do with concerning Japanese or American origin of shop.

So Toque, you got into a tonkatsu restaurant and have a tonkatsu / katsudon - you class that as fast food?

I don't really get where the Mos-bashing is coming from. They're never fast when I'm there. lol.gif