I had a running nose, mild fever and went to see a doctor yesterday. She gave me four kinds of medicine as usuall.

antibiotics, cough medicine, sinus medicine, medicine for fever

But I was told by my friend with anger, I should not take antibiotics, just stay in bed and take lots of VitaminC. So, I'm not taking antibiotics but still have a slight fever. \:\(

What's wrong with antibiotics?? I know you can't take antibiotics too often, but once or twice a year is so often?

slow, antibiotics in Japan are weak. dont worry about taking them. They will help you get better quickly.

The problem is that medicine is america is waaaaay toooooo strong. Americans are a quick fix society and if it takes longer than 5 mins they get pissed off. After years and years of taking strong medicine, my body has built up an immune against weak medicine and depends on strong medicine to cure colds/flus that I get. So, medicine in Japan barely affects me. Americans want a quick fix solution; eventhough it doesnt go to the root of the problem.

I hope you get better slow. Is your futon warm? \:\)

wave.gif

I think the main problem is that a lot of doctors hand them out unneccessarily. The companies that make the antibiotics offer all sorts of kickbacks to doctors who recommend their drugs, so it's all a bit suss if you ask me.

Your friend is right though ... plenty of rest, fluids and Vitamin C is the best thing to do when you have a common cold. The fever is a positive thing, it means your body is trying to fight off the infection. Any other medication to treat the symptoms usually supresses the cold even further (especially Pseudoephedrine).

Antibiotics do hell for the immune system. All natural therapies are in agreement with that. I wouldn't take them unless I had absolutely no other choice.

I recommend you go to someone who does kampo and get something tailor made for your particular symptoms. Kampo's saved my life by quickly clearing up colds and fevers and coughs for me. Of course it depends on the practitioner, but you have a good chance of finding someone good.

For a runny nose and fever, HUGE doses of vitamin C (in the gram zone) every 4-5 hours, and lots of water (warm honey lemon water). In my experience, symptons'll be gone in 24 hours.

If your glands swell up, you get a persistant ear ache/swelling, or a raw sore throat, start thinking about the antobiotics. These may indicate that your symptoms are not caused by a virus.

(Oh, and lay off the damn pipe...)

Thank you. \:\)

Chill and fever, chill and fever, yeah my body is fighting now... I'm just staying in my bed and I hope I'll be fine by tomorrow.

Ahhh, chicken soup sounds good! I have to eat something now.

sunrise, I'm very interested in Kampo. Actually, there is a chinese medicine clinic near my apartment. I should try it.

I take medicine only when I don't have any other choice as sunrise says, sometimes take kampo though.

I can be patient for more than 5 minutes to get fixed, yama... lol Why Americans are so impatient for it!?!?!?

Slow - Kampo works calm and mild but many tastes really bitter \:\(

Try this receipe what I call vegitable risot.

#1 cut any vegitables in your fridge in a 1 cm cubic or square - some carrot, onion, celery , cabbage, potato, tomato

#2 put some butter in a pan and add onion, carrot, cabbage, celery to fry with middle fire until they get soft.

#3 Add soup stock in the pan as much as you like.

Maybe you can add some water instead.

#4 Add a bay leaf or two.

#5 Add some buillon if you use some water instead of soup stock.

#6 Boil it with middle fire until it gets boiled, turn the fire weaker to simmer the pan.

Take the scum out of the pan whenever you find any.

#7 When vegitables get soft enough, add potato and some cooked rice - if you use uncooked rice, put the rice at the #3 or #4

Keep simmering the pan until the potato get soft

#8 Add tomato soon before you turn the fire off

and put some salt and pepper to fix the taste

#9 Turn the fire off then serve \:\)

Hope you like it \:\)

But I think celery is a MUST for this receipe coz when I didnt have any celery, it tasted a bit boring. Probably listed vegitables above are the best combination.