Expo 05 (but don't take your food)

Nice pictures, Gamera - thanks for sharing. \:\)

I wouldn't want to live in one of those traditional houses and arrive home drunk at night - one slip into the drainage gutters and I'd drown! (They are deep!) eek.gif

That is indeed a very big platypus ... but WTF is the point?

Cut down swathes of virgin forest so that you can have big platypuses and other junk fatuously named "The Wisdom of Nature" that people travel for miles to see.

Really dumb behaviour in times like these...

Ahhh not very shifty.gif My post was meant to be toungue in cheek.

Yeah I heard that they cleared a lot of land and destroyed one of the remaining habitats of a threated bird species in order to build the expo site. Surely the irony of that is not lost on all Japanese. Pathetic!

Quote:
Originally posted by Dims:
Ahhh not very shifty.gif My post was meant to be toungue in cheek.

Yeah I heard that they cleared a lot of land and destroyed one of the remaining habitats of a threated bird species in order to build the expo site. Surely the irony of that is not lost on all Japanese. Pathetic!
Yep, my friend lives in Seto (where they are having it) and it used to be a really nice green park and now its all gone and its a concrete jungle..
  • 4 months later...
 Quote:
Originally posted by snowglider:

I am going to go and smuggle food and water into the park, you just watch me go.
Did it! no worries, I went and I smuggled food and drink in easily, had my camelbak full of sports drinks and enough food to last the whole day, didnt spend one cent or wait line for food at all.
I left it too late to go though, I thought that it would die out at the end but the Expo has proved to be very popular and is picking up apparently
250000 went this past Saturday!
when Gamera went in April only 53600 went.
I had 134000 punters with me yesterday( would have been more if hadnt rained all day) I didnt mind th e rain at all, made things cool.
They are predicting massive crowds up to the end.
http://www.expo2005.or.jp/jp/H0/H1/index.html
this expo website page has all the attendance figures.
Expo was pretty damn cool, I really enjoyed it, got to see most of the cool pavilions without waiting ( got in first thing an managed to score reservations ot Toyota, Toshiba, Blue Lab, Mtn of Dreams ( which was rubbish)
Toyota was interesting. Blue Lab of the global house was awesome with it HD laser operated 50m wide movie theatre screen.

There were insane waits for regular pavilions, I never waited though just went to the quiet pavilions like Africa and SE Asia.
200mins for the German pavilion! and other crazy waiting times. Just go check out Lithuania or Bulgaria or something which had no waiting and were pretty cool especially Lithuania.

In the second European Area, Austria, Switzerland Netherlands had one hour waits the UK pavilion had no line at all! perhaps the UK pavallion wasnt that good ;-)

Unbelievable number of selfish parents though with young children there. Leave little kids at home. Expo has was no place for them. Poor distressed little children getting lugged around and waiting impatiently in the rain.
 Quote:
Originally posted by 69:

Anyway, it was fairly interesting but as with many of these kind of things I wasn't madly excited about it - and a bit too busy for my liking it might be better to wait a bit until the crowds have died down a bit.
that was my plan 69 but the crowds have tripled since you went!!
  • 2 weeks later...

Have you seen those queues for Expo today and yesterday. Those people must be totally nuts going today, unless of course they just want to waste their money on lining up in huge crowds and seeing nothing. Well, thats the way it looked just now on the news.