I just got approved to use my nenkyu over the long weekend! We have entrance exams that weekend but fortunately got outta it. Which means I finish work Thursday and will prolly try to head up then (if the snows good). Looking forward to a long weekend in Hakuba.

Anybody else have plans?

clap.gif

Hakkoda for me. 9th to 12th. It'll be my first time there so really pumped for this trip. Have heard so much about the dayly unlimited powder runs you can get. Bring it on!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mudguts:
Hakkoda for me. 9th to 12th. It'll be my first time there so really pumped for this trip. Have heard so much about the dayly unlimited powder runs you can get. Bring it on!
Have you heard about getting lost too?
I spent a long weekend there too a couple of winters back. Great place, once you learn where to go. Our first two days were just learning the traverse back. (Don't follow the gondola line!!! = flat walk out midway down.)

drop in,
traverse skier's-right under the gondola,
ride that open face and its trees on the right.
follow others' tracks that traverse mildly left across the river at the bottom to the road. (get it? gomen ne.)

where are you staying? There's a decent (new/clean) hostel at Mori Hills that is on Hakkoda's bus line. There is also night riding at mori hills if you feel so inclined. And great onsens at Mori hills that overlook the resort from atop a neighboring hill.

Hey Samurai. Thanks for the riding tips. Will be staying with a mate in Aomori who goes to Hakkoda all the time and knows the stashes so we should be in good hands. Do you think snow shoes are necessary at Hakkoda? I know you can hire them there but what use are they in the hire shop when you need them on the mountain? Just wondering if I should take them.

Off to Tumagoi (nagano) with a fairly big crowd for the weekend. Thought it was Gunma and was all geared for some bc action but not sure whats going on now, still should be a good trip, and have a new helemt for my noggin!!

when we were at hakkoda it was decent vis with new snow and lots of people hiking to stuff a ways out. But we just kept nailing our own lines right off the tram for 25 minute decents. Perhaps those who were hiking were already bored of what we thought was money terrain. Even the best fishing is across the lake, but to rookies, fishing off the dock is fun.