I'm going home for X'mas (to the US) and since everything is hell of expensive here I'm planning to buy a new board in the states and bring it back with me to Japan. Will I have any problems doing this? I have a board bag to put it in, but will they even let me take it on the plane (they must have size restrictions?). Will I even be able to check it? Will they charge me extra due to the length (only 158 but still longer than the normal allowable luggage I assume). Also should I pack or pad it in any special way so that the board isn't damaged during the flight? Any tips appreciated. Thanks.

you're allowed to bring back the board bag no problem. When you say you have a board bag, is that padded or just a sleeve? If it's just a sleeve i would put lots of bubble wrap around it & chuck some clothes in the bag too.

I have a big padded luggage board bag. I usually have 2 to 3 boards, 2 bindings, 2 pairs of boots, all my outerwear and first layer stuff in there. The only thing i need to worry about is the airline losing or delaying the bag

I'd say there will be no problems, as long as your luggage and snowboard are under the weight limit for your airline (maybe it's a good idea to check with the airline). When I flew back to Aus last year I took my board with me. Unfortunately, I already had more than the weight allowance in luggage (not counting the board), so the board was counted as excess baggage. The lady at Narita wanted to charge me 70,000 yen excess baggage, but I argued with her and her superior until they finally looked through their system and found that QANTAS has a special deal where snowboards and skis are only 3kg excess, no matter how much they weigh. Lucky. 10,000yen was much easier to part with than 70,000 yen.

But that's a different story. If you're under the limit you'll be fine.

The bag I have isn't all that padded but it has extra room as it's meant to hold a board + boots and outerwear, etc. So I guess if I just pad it with laundry or newspapers to fill it out it should be fine.

Will they let me take it on the plane or will I have to check it?

Fattwins I'm buying Burton. Japs love their name brands so I save myself about 2man yen by buying it at home. Hell, my local shop here sells just a sticker with the Burton logo on it for 1500 yen.

last time i came back with a double board bag and i thought they were going to charge me duties.

when you bring back new boards from the states, immigration/customs might want to look in.

take price tags and unwrap anything in plastic if its new before leaving the states.

call up the airline and ask about checking in sports equipment. if you're polite on the phone often you'll find that they will give you an extra 10kgs to your weight limit.

i did this flying back from london - perth recently, with surfboards, snowboards and heaps of other junk on royal brunei. they bumped our weight allowance up - so we got an extra 20kg for the 2 of us.

also check the airline policy. some carriers will let you take any amount of gear for a small fee (eg ryanair and easyjet in europe charge 15 quid per ski/snowboard bag, no matter how heavy), others charge extorionate rates. certain airlines (especially US airlines) are notorious for charging extra for sporting equipment, even if you are under your 20kg limit in total. i've heard stories that they charge up to $100US for a surfboard per LEG of a trip.

Quote:
Originally posted by dizzy:
last time i came back with a double board bag and i thought they were going to charge me duties.

when you bring back new boards from the states, immigration/customs might want to look in.

take price tags and unwrap anything in plastic if its new before leaving the states.
Scuff up the edges and make it look used. Allow a few specks of rust to form.
 Quote:
Originally posted by thursday:
[QB] Scuff up the edges and make it look used. Allow a few specks of rust to form.
no, not necessary just take it out of the plastic and remove the price tag(s)
 Quote:
Originally posted by spook:
call up the airline and ask about checking in sports equipment. if you're polite on the phone often you'll find that they will give you an extra 10kgs to your weight limit.
i did this flying back from london - perth recently, with surfboards, snowboards and heaps of other junk on royal brunei. they bumped our weight allowance up - so we got an extra 20kg for the 2 of us.
also check the airline policy. some carriers will let you take any amount of gear for a small fee (eg ryanair and easyjet in europe charge 15 quid per ski/snowboard bag, no matter how heavy), others charge extorionate rates. certain airlines (especially US airlines) are notorious for charging extra for sporting equipment, even if you are under your 20kg limit in total. i've heard stories that they charge up to $100US for a surfboard per LEG of a trip.
going out to NZ this summer the travel agent told me i'd have to pay another 30000 yen to take my skis and i was like NO WAY! so i called up cathay pacific and spoke to a very nice guy at narita who said, yeh of course you can take a ski bag as an extra piece of checked in luggage...... we only count it as 3kg of your total allowance, but you can put in 10kg and we don't mind - they just count it as 3kg of your total even if it's more. SWEEEEEEET. so umm no i dont think a snowboard counts as cabin baggage lol. just call the airline and check your total check in allowance and make sure it adds up. on the way back outa sydney i bought so much stuff that i had to put my ski boots and shovel in my hand luggage to even out the weight, can't believe they didnt care!!!! also a mate brought my LINE prophets over from the US this summer and just took off the plastic, no worries with cutoms, as long as you don't have plastic wrappers on there.
 Quote:
Originally posted by thursday:
isn't taking ashovel on board like taking a letha lweapon on board? You bash the old lady next to you for talking too much.
i know!!!!!!!!!!! that's why i was amazed i got through security with it. i had an empty seat next to me and a bulk head on front of me, leaving me tons of room for my gimpy leg on the way back to hong kong... the most painful 10 hours of my life. i reckon you could probably have messed someone up too with my skis boots i had in my cabin baggage too. god i always have too much stuff lol.gif

I walked through immigration, then security at HKG and they stopped me. My wife slipped her nail clippers into my jacket pocket and forgot to tell me. I was padded down and had the clippers held until I returned from my trip.

A SHOVEL? I think I would've been held for questioning for that.