I am currently sitting at MY Hotel in Hakuba in the Japanese alps with the biggest smile on my face as I am now the proud owner of a hotel in Hakuba. As some on here already know I have been negotiating the purchase of a hotel since January this year after having a look around at a few. Twelve months ago I decided that it was time to change my life. My manufacturing business was going great but I was thinking that there has got to be more to life so I decided that I was going to have a look at business opportunities in Japan on my annual journey into the northern winter. I found an absolute dream place at an absolute bargain price but a little more than I had to spend. So after putting the feelers out for investors I hooked up with two great guys Tim (Timmyhugecans on the forums) from Perth and Ed, from Melbourne and well, we bought it. I want to thank Mitch from Snowbeds for helping me out and for his continuing support. I can recommend Mitch to anybody who is thinking of purchasing in the area. His local knowledge of the area is probably second to none as anyone who has stayed with him would no doubt know. I would also like to thank Fattwins for his advice along the way. This is a dream come true. Follow your dreams.

Cheers

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats!

Looking forward to sharing a red with you TJ. Might even dig deep into the cellar (bedroom cupboard) and dig out a decent bottle of pinot to celebrate your purchase. \:\) Like so many I am looking for a sea change so would love to catch up and chat with all you guys doing it.

Thanks guys for all your good wishes. The place is about 80 metres south of Garage902 at Echoland. It was owned by a Canadian insurance company called Manulife. The building is in immaculate condition but we have a bit of work in front of us to turn it into a working boutique hotel. The bar, I must say though is a great room. We are going to set it up as a wine bar. If your in town please drop in and introduce yourself. We will be opening on the first of December but we will be around from the end of October.

Cheers

Nice one TJ, I know the building and its really nice.

If you're opening Dec 1, pray extra hard for lots of early snow because town will be stone dead without it. Even the upmarket hotels that are open year round close up for a couple of weeks then. If you've got a lot to do to get ready for the season, I wouldn't put priority on opening then. Even with early snow, it takes most people a while to get their asses into gear. Midweek early snow is the ultimate gift to local shredders. You get twenty people on the hill.

Nice work TJ, I remember chatting to you and your missus about your plans earlier this year and if you still have the same enthusiasm now as you had then, then I'm sure it'll work out well for you.

Seeing as you angling at the upmarket end of the scale, perhaps you could cash in on the former clientele of Arai - now that Arai is no longer around.

P.s you need to modify your location, you aint just in Melbourne anymore wink1.gif

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Wiggles:
Nice one TJ, I know the building and its really nice.

If you're opening Dec 1, pray extra hard for lots of early snow because town will be stone dead without it. Even the upmarket hotels that are open year round close up for a couple of weeks then. If you've got a lot to do to get ready for the season, I wouldn't put priority on opening then. Even with early snow, it takes most people a while to get their asses into gear. Midweek early snow is the ultimate gift to local shredders. You get twenty people on the hill.
Thanks for the advice. We set the date because I think its important to set some goals otherwise things can drag on. Also if it does snow and everything is ready to go we won't have any other option than to be out in it. \:D

TJ, looking for somewhere for 4 of us to stay in/about Hakuba for a week around early feb. we've been finding it super hard to locate self-contained accom....don't suppose you might need someone to fill your boutique hotel - where do i check it out online?

Hey I'm a good mate of TJ OZ as well and wanting to help promote his place as craftily as possible.

You got any space for, er, any time this season mate?

(Don't worry as soon as the thread gets off the first page of the Forums I'll post something again to make sure people can still see it).

Your mate

window-cleaner