Today was one of those days. I’m sure most people have them once in a while. You go through the day doing one thing after the next finishing everything with ease. It’s almost as if you’re a puppet being controlled and pulled along - everything goes so smoothly.

I had my first swim since leaving on my trip and it was effortless. Just like butter. Walking home afterwards I had a spring in my step and thoughts passed by like clouds in the sky drifting here and there. Meandering though small streets I couldn’t help feel that something was pulling me and guiding me on some unknown path. I didn’t know what it was until I stopped and found myself in front of the bookstore near my house…which I haven’t been in since early March.

Looked up at the sky and saw a wonderful sunset. The colors reminded me of some of the sunsets we saw throughout our journey. But, no sunset was as spectacular as a few we saw on Don Det.

What really grabbed me at that instant was how cool and crisp the air felt which instantly flashed white images in my mind of snow falling, gondolas going up, boots clicking in bindings, and screams and hollers from mates watching everybody snorkeling in nipple-deep powder. A smile beamed across my face from ear to ear as scene after scene from past seasons sprung to life.

I bounced up the 2 flights of stairs leading up to the bookstore and walked down to the sports section. Still thought it might be a bit early but thought I’d take a chance and have a look. There it was – the bright pink letters staring out – the first issue of Bravoski for the 2007 winter. Picking it up I felt like a kid on Christmas day waiting for his parents to wake up in order to open the presents. Flipping through each page felt like I was unwrapping gift after gift.

The cover grabs you – Steele Spence is, what looks like, chest-deep in powder somewhere in Whistler’s BC. It could have been anybody. Ian ripping it up in Niseko; Jeremy, his brother Seth, and I ripping up the south face of some remote location in Hakuba valley; Bushpig waist-deep on N.Y.’s last year; or, Toque, Fattwins and I getting one of the best storms of the season at the end of March last year; we had a ripping day at Happo seeing so many new lines open up; though, the avie on our last day shook us and had Toque racing down the mountain tumbling head over heals with one of his BigStix making it down the mountain faster than he ever has.

Looking through the magazine I noticed how I never appreciated Fall until coming to Japan. It also wasn’t until two of my best mates, Ian and Bartek, got me up to Geihoku in Hiroshima and introduced me to my first winter sport, skiing, that I could really appreciate all that winter has to offer. Sure, in Hawaii we used to get epic swells in winter but it wasn’t cold. Finally, I had the chance to play in the snow.

Since that first run I have been hooked and my life has never been the same. I threw away a great job to work in Niseko for a season. And, since then, all I can think about is how much longer it will be for the temperature to drop and the snow to fall…all I really want to do is walk up to my principal and say, “I quit. I’m going skiing for the season.” But that dream will have to be a passing thought and stay put for sometime.

So now, we have only about 3 months to wait before the season really begins. I can’t wait. As day after day passes we will be that much closer to what all of us on SnowJapan.com share in common – the fact that whether we ski, snowboard, or telemark, we all love snow!

3 months and counting!

Let’s snowing! \:D clap.gif

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SnowJapan Moderator

Really looking forward to it! \:D

But.... we need another month or so to get all our updates ready for the site this season - we're hoping to get all the updates and new stuff online around the middle of October.

When the summer heat fades away (next few weeks) and the cool winds start blowing, that's when I really feel the autumn coming on. I love it when my appetite comes back and I start to feel alive again. Still 31 degrees here in Tokyo during the daytime but the nights are starting to be relatively cooler.

If you have time, I strongly recommend anyone gets to the mountains for some hiking before the snow season, especially in October. There's a buzz about any resort town in advance of the first snow and I get a kick seeing all the preparations being made for winter. A good chance to recce the slopes and lines that you'll later go and ski, get some quality time in the onsens and locate the best places to eat.

Quote:
Originally posted by Creek Boy:
Today was one of those days. I’m sure most people have them once in a while. You go through the day doing one thing after the next finishing everything with ease. It’s almost as if you’re a puppet being controlled and pulled along - everything goes so smoothly.

I had my first swim since leaving on my trip and it was effortless. Just like butter. Walking home afterwards I had a spring in my step and thoughts passed by like clouds in the sky drifting here and there. Meandering though small streets I couldn’t help feel that something was pulling me and guiding me on some unknown path. I didn’t know what it was until I stopped and found myself in front of the bookstore near my house…which I haven’t been in since early March.

Looked up at the sky and saw a wonderful sunset. The colors reminded me of some of the sunsets we saw throughout our journey. But, no sunset was as spectacular as a few we saw on Don Det.

What really grabbed me at that instant was how cool and crisp the air felt which instantly flashed white images in my mind of snow falling, gondolas going up, boots clicking in bindings, and screams and hollers from mates watching everybody snorkeling in nipple-deep powder. A smile beamed across my face from ear to ear as scene after scene from past seasons sprung to life.

I bounced up the 2 flights of stairs leading up to the bookstore and walked down to the sports section. Still thought it might be a bit early but thought I’d take a chance and have a look. There it was – the bright pink letters staring out – the first issue of Bravoski for the 2007 winter. Picking it up I felt like a kid on Christmas day waiting for his parents to wake up in order to open the presents. Flipping through each page felt like I was unwrapping gift after gift.

The cover grabs you – Steele Spence is, what looks like, chest-deep in powder somewhere in Whistler’s BC. It could have been anybody. Ian ripping it up in Niseko; Jeremy, his brother Seth, and I ripping up the south face of some remote location in Hakuba valley; Bushpig waist-deep on N.Y.’s last year; or, Toque, Fattwins and I getting one of the best storms of the season at the end of March last year; we had a ripping day at Happo seeing so many new lines open up; though, the avie on our last day shook us and had Toque racing down the mountain tumbling head over heals with one of his BigStix making it down the mountain faster than he ever has.

Looking through the magazine I noticed how I never appreciated Fall until coming to Japan. It also wasn’t until two of my best mates, Ian and Bartek, got me up to Geihoku in Hiroshima and introduced me to my first winter sport, skiing, that I could really appreciate all that winter has to offer. Sure, in Hawaii we used to get epic swells in winter but it wasn’t cold. Finally, I had the chance to play in the snow.

Since that first run I have been hooked and my life has never been the same. I threw away a great job to work in Niseko for a season. And, since then, all I can think about is how much longer it will be for the temperature to drop and the snow to fall…all I really want to do is walk up to my principal and say, “I quit. I’m going skiing for the season.” But that dream will have to be a passing thought and stay put for sometime.

So now, we have only about 3 months to wait before the season really begins. I can’t wait. As day after day passes we will be that much closer to what all of us on SnowJapan.com share in common – the fact that whether we ski, snowboard, or telemark, we all love snow!

3 months and counting!

Let’s snowing! \:D clap.gif
'bout time you said something worth reading
 Quote:
Originally posted by Kumapix:
nitro suprateam (same as my avatar)
got a super good deal from backcountry.com on it!
kuma, have you seen the new 07' vapor and malolo boards yet? i don't think i'd get one, but they look sleeeeeeek. 59,000 for malolo and 99,000 for the vapor on yippee auctions

i demoed the 07 vapor last winter and it is facking amazing. So light that it doesn't feel like you've got anything between your bindings. The edge to edge speed is pretty crazy too. An awesome board.

The 07 malolo has a new 'powder' fly core which places more core weight near the back of the board for even more float. The thickness is prob a difference of mm though! It has a new high speed base to help with flat run outs. This is a badass board too. Only thing I don't like are the graphics. They look like a older Feelgood (women's board) but they were done by some famous surfer artist. The malolo is pretty versatile. I've done mach 5 on it on groomers and didn't get chatter or any negatives. Def not for park though

If we're resort riding on a pow day I'll let you ride my malolo for a run or 2...but don't even think about it after a long hike!!! lol.gif