NISEKO - is it true the new mayor is Australian

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that is true in a lot of cases. I am fortunate to have covered alot of Japan' mountains, but i still return to Nisekos powder. Last season was insane as we come across some guys doing Niseko backcountry access by snowmobile, there is some pretty wild backcountry out there!! it makes me laugh as most of it is right under the Aussies noses.

I thought you had to be japanese to vote......?

a friend of a friend does the mobiling in niseko. says that its good but not crazy steep. The niseko topo really only shows one steep short pitch at around 40 degrees. If you are into touring there are much better spots thoughout japan. touring is touring meaning more than one mountain

Unless he became a Japanese citizen he would be unable to run in an election as only Japanese have electoral rights in Japan. (If he became a Japanese citizen then he couldn't be an Aussie).

So the answer would have to be NO.

You may be mixing up residence and citizenship.

Most western nations allow residents to have electoral rights. Japan doesn't allow residents to have voting rights.

BTW, the Niseko Mayor is a Japanese named Sato, Kutchan Mayor is a Japanese named Ito.

• 3 months later...

In Niseko I am seeing public accommodation venues (hotels, pensions, lodges) that are pricing in Australian Dollars per night. So no matter who you are; Canadian, French, Japanese, NZ… the price for a night’s accommodation in Niseko Japan is A$100 (for example).

I’m not sure if that is strange or not…. still mulling over it.

I suppose it is natural to price in the currency of your target clients. In that sense AUD pricing is not so strange (although the property owners with JPY debt and operating expenses may learn a thing or two about the importance of hedging currency mismatches on cash flows as well as FX bid/offer spreads for small amounts, but that’s their business. Its not like it screwed up Aussie farmers borrowing Swiss Francs a few decades ago)

If nothing else it says volumes about the state of play in Niseko.

Niseko: all major cards accepted, and AUD.

Isn't the Niseko Higashyama Resort owned by an Australian (Colin Hackworth), he was the General Manager of Hotham and Falls Creek until a couple of years ago.

Much of the development happening there is also Australian money, an example is the town houses I am staying at this year were built by an Australian, and most have been sold to Australians.

Not a bad thing as after all we have seasons that are opposite to each other and the distance makes accessing the resorts very economical.

I am considering purchasing a unit there as an investment as well as somewhere I can use, my Falls Creek apartments have worked out very well so why not have one in Japan as well.