NISEKO - is it true the new mayor is Australian

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A-La-Spu(d):

Sebago = potato variety = Spud (add copious amounts of beer to make A-La Spu) ;\)

Mr. Wiggles et-al:

As for the 'microbubble' philosophy, I'll have to disagree in part - the Niseko market is being aimed at Aussies and Kiwi's. Since Dec-March in Oz is 30-40C and our last few winters have sucked, the likelihood of holidaying growth in Niseko and surrounds is good.

It's the old tyranny of distance - why fly 18 hours to Colorado/Vancouver (from Sydney), when 8 hours will see you riding in J-Land?

I agree with the land valuation prices, though they will undoubtedly see stabilisation at higher rates than the locals are likely to afford.

If I had purchased a pensione in Niseko a few years ago, I'd be one happy capitalist - marketing in Oz is everything - so pushing both winter and summer pursuits, would make the enterprise very sweet indeed. (Whether the locals could keep up with goods & services is another thing) Alas, too late now.

Quote:
Incidentally there will be direct flights from HK to Nagano soon.
Are you serious!!? Where did you find out this information? Sounds slightly unbelievable to me....I thought Matsumoto airport wasn't set up for international flights..

This is what I heard from some airline friends. Love it to be true and the sooner the better.

Might need to escape from Niseko soon. Just going through the threads this morning, I've found lotsa "from Australia, fist time to Niseko this season" threads.

Just checked the Matsumoto airport website and it seems they can take international flights and since 2 years ago the number of Hong kong charter flights has risen. Last year the number doubled from 230people to 460 people (although that sounds like it went from 1 plane load to two plane loads...)