Hi,

A mate and me are planning a trip in Feb to Hokkaido. We plan to spend a week at Niseko and we are looking for another hill to snowboard for the next week. We are after the usual, powder, trees and a place with a fair bit of vertical to it. I have been looking in a few different places and well any infomation that you can give us its appreciated

well for starters if you are looking for vertical and you are going to Hokkaido, you are gonna be severely disappointed. Hokkaido is synonymous with "flat" ;\)

Do a search on Hokkaido and plenty of info should come up mate thumbsup.gif

Hey Boothy, A 2 week trip is always a hard one. To really ski some good terrain in Hokkaido you have to hit the road. Ski niseko for a a week, then get out of there,good move.Dont completely write of Niseko totally,as i said in another topic post there is a crew doing backcountry access by snowmobile making the Niseko area huge!.Anyway make sure you get your international drivers licence and hire a car and buy a map and hit the road, there is a lot of good terrain out there, be kind and respect the locals and you will feel the real Japan! I have heard that this season there will be dude in Niseko that hires rigs for this sought of thing.

apparently these guys with the snowmobiles are doing guided backcountry tours,you ride one of there sleds with a guide showing you the way, dont really know the full details though!

Quote:
Originally posted by chop:
I found the info , but i think they only do backcountry snowmobiling, not backcountry
skiing? niseko snowmobile adventures. I wonder?
I emailed them already to ask them exactly that!

Thanks for the replys,

Just have another question.

whats the go with furano's patrol??

Are they Nazis or what??? just concerned as i really don't want to travel all the way to japan and then get chased by those idiots for having fun in the trees. I really don't want to ride the groomed crap all the time, as i can do that anywhere.

I have heard some stories from people and they say they are like the SS.

Whats the real story.

Thanks

dunno about Furano ....yet.

You can certainly do the trees in Niseko. The only time they nazi is when there is avalanche danger.

Only once did I see a boarder get a shout in the face by the patrol and that was during an avalanche warning.

Not controlled or patrolled, so the patrol will at times try to catch you if they catch on to you.

Anything thats in the trees can slide so i would kit up if that is what you plan to do for the whole trip. I watched a friend get taking out and have to hang onto a tree last year.

i did get some info on the Niseko snowmobile crew, turns out they DO NOT give access to the backcountry, huge safety issues, there core thing is snowmobile tours! so dont give away your snow shoes.