• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yep, saw that this morning kuma, cheers.

Interesting article. The d300 is certainly gonna be a big leap up from my d70. But I agree with what he says about only incremental increases.

Thursday, WTF!? What is that thing?!

fine camera soub. Not the point though. He is referring to how much improvement comes in each new model. Incremental. Not ground-breaking. For the most part. Although, if you skip a generation or two like going from my d70 to the d300, then the improvement will be pretty damn big. My d70 is fine, but I have really noticed where it lacks recently for the kind of pics I am now wanting to take. My expectations have gone up.

Fair enough. My approach is to let the camera take the shot and do the tweaking in photoshop. I like to shoot stuff rather than spending heaps of time setting up for the photo.

That said, I'm planning for some autumn photos next week, and I'm going to re-read the manuel before I go, and take the tripod.

Originally Posted By: soubriquet
That said, I'm planning for some autumn photos next week, and I'm going to re-read the manuel before I go, and take the tripod.

Got yourself a polarizer filter? Must have for the koyo shots mate thumbsup.gif

I almost never tweak. To me, that's not foto taking.

I'm trying to improve my foto skills, not my computer click skills.

And your cams are about 2 gens behind, so UPGRADE, you'll love the cams even more. (Good one BP, D300 sounds so much fun) (Soubs, do it, you'll never look back. Just like when we talked you into the DSLR in the first place)

Despite this idea that "real photography" does not involve tweaking, almost all professionals use photoshop or similar programs to maximize what they have taken. Old school film processing also involved this to some degree. When developing in the dark room, you have a lot of control over exactly how you expose the negative onto the print paper. By tweaking, I myself mean fixing levels and in some cases colours if they are off, cropping and sharpening. Digital pics by nature are a bit softer than needed for printing. Professional photographers almost all apply some kind of sharpening process before printing. Basically what Kuma just said is spot on. It's not cheating at all. Even in the days of film, people took photos that they knew they could expose in various ways later in the dark room for different effect.

Originally Posted By: brit-gob
What kind of tweaking do people do? Changing the colors and stuff?

I think I enjoy more the challenge of taking the photo rather than "cheating" later on.

As BP said, it's not cheating. Darkroom tweaking has been done since year dot.

Excluding remote sensing data, all digital images comprise 1 or 3 blocks of numbers between 0 and 255. As long as it is in focus, not blurred and doesn't have too many 0s and 255s you can do anything you like with one.

What I normally do is sharpen (unsharp mask) and stretch. If I want to lift something I get into the colour curves and stretch the values I want. Something like making autumn colours vibrant on a cloudy day is something I can't do in the camera, but I can do it on the computer. Peesh of pish.

I can focus from infinity to my feet without glasses. Anything closer is a blur. Information on micro screens is totally lost on me. I'm danged if I'm going to let a camera dictate to me whether I wear glasses or not, especially when the viewfinder is set at infinity.

Regardless of how you feel about the romance of setting up the shot, a digital image is just a bunch of numbers. As long as it is not under exposed or saturated, you can do anything you want on the computer. That's the beauty of digital imaging.

My dad posted this but it is basically the first ever day I spent climbing in the BC. All the other days were a slide in and slide out. The worse snow shoes ever too. the next day we had a great boot pack and were huffing it up every chance we could. Who knew it would all lead to this!

n676036646_265235_8294.jpg