• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol.gif

buried 3/4 way down a very long page:

"Accordingly, the best advice I can offer with regard to choosing a digital point-and-shoot is: don't waste your time. I am not speaking colloquially—I don't mean you should forego the activity altogether. No. I'm saying if you spend long hours reading reviews, comparing features, gathering opinions, and agonizing over slight advantages and disadvantages, weighing pros and cons, you will be losing precious minutes and hours of your time on Earth that you will never get back. It doesn't matter if you have three choices, or thirty, or three hundred: if every option is crap, then the option you choose is going to be crap, and that's that. Therefore, the best course of action is to not worry about it. No matter which point-and-shoot you choose, it's still going to be a point-and-shoot. So go to any big-box store where they have rows and rows of point-and-shoots on display, spend five minutes (ten or fifteen if you're a gentleman or lady of leisure), and pick one because you like its look, color, size, or feel. Take the advice of the teenager with the colored logo-embroidered shirt on if that reassures you, go by name recognition, or pick one blindfolded. Regardless, at fifteen minutes you're comfortably into the region of diminishing returns. Effort beyond that is wasted. Pick one. Go home."

and there's more \:D

"Point-and-shoots came about as a category in the 1980s because consumers wanted to buy cameras like any other small appliance, such as, say, hair dryers or electric toothbrushes. They were meant to be so small that they could be carried effortlessly, and so simple that even people missing a section of prefrontal cortex the size of a scoop of ice cream could use them. "

I think his point was, everything has limitations - PAS cameras being that they are all POS - so don't waste your life chosing which one to buy.

Instead, spend the time learning how to work with it's limitations to take decent photos - and then you can enjoy the good points of them, like that you can put them in your pocket.

There is a place for compact cameras - always in your pocket.

Originally Posted By: thursday
Soubs, you're next

No idea what this is about. I tried taking a picture of the tit confection with the Nikon DSLR, but it wouldn't focus. I dug out the Canon digicam and it worked, albeit with a 3 second delay while it worked out wtf was going on.

Of course, I'd have had no problems focussing my old manual Pentax.

Soubs, me on about you being relegated to the eighth position of most posts on the forum. Kuma neglected his duties so I got him.

I presume you are using the 18-200. The closet focusing distance for that is 0.5m/1.6ft. And there is no way you can stand being that far away from such a confectionry