And the guys too, if they have any advice to impart!

I'm looking at getting new boots and skis this year - I initially had a fair idea of what I wanted but after chatting with the guy from my local ski shop I'm not so sure. He didn't seem too keen on the ones I had in mind... wakaranai.gif

I'm interested to know what gear you other SJ girls are using, or what you'd most like to be using.

What were you interested in Nicole?

I personally like Head boots. I currently have Head S10W. High performance womens with a very neutral stance, no high ramp angles. Go for a high performance boot, if you find a unisex boot fits best then don't be biased toward a women specific boot. It all depends on your fit. Some boots just won't fit well on an individual's foot. Also women have lower calves, and narrower ankles and lower top-of-feet then men. Big calves can cause problems too, as I can attest to, but that's another story and I won't bore you with it unless you have the same problem. Also, I do recommend trying to get something with a neutral stance rather than something that pushes you too far forward cos you might then find yourself constantly in the back seat when skiing.

Important tip - do your best to get your boots from a good bootfitter who really knows his stuff rather than a regular shop sales assistant who you're not sure about.

For info on how to make sure you get a good fit, as well as boot reviews and other stuff check out bootfitters.com.

If you're interested in a good custom footbed I can recommend some guys who do them in Syd/Melb.

Yay! I was actually looking at the Head S8 boots, mostly because they're recommended for the skis I was interested in (Wild Thang).

I definitely think I need a pair of women-specific boots - my current pair are unisex and there's just a bit too much room around my ankle, even though they fit fine everywhere else.

I think it was the skis that the guy wasn't sure about rather than the boots (I was looking at the Wild Thangs and K2 One Luvs).

The guy I'm going to is meant to be very good but I wouldn't mind checking out some other places - if you can PM the details that'd be super \:\)

lol.gif

Lets Head! \:D

...sorry

I use Lange Banshee boots. Nice boots but I actually wanna switch over to something like the Rossi Freerides, Sally 1080 boots (think thats the name) or some Raichles. Im gonna wait at least another season or 2 if the smell doesnt kill me first.

Nicole, I'm not sure what level you're at, but my gf has the dynastar exclusive legends and was v. happy with them.

Of course, FT will tell you to get something fatter.

I will definitely take my time checking out boots... I have until August after all \:\)

My level is... well, I'm a reasonably good skier but certainly not at the level I imagine the rest of you are. Does that make sense? wakaranai.gif

I have the Legend 4800, which appears to be the unisex version of that ski, and I like them a lot. If I were a better skier I'm sure I'd be zooming thru the trees just fine in them. They're totally fine on piste and I can get thru crud and not-so-deep powder reasonably well (unless there are trees involved.... fatties are still on next season's list to get me thru those and deeper snow easier).

Mine is Rossignol Bandit B2W with wrong bindings. I didn't care about bindings and chose lighter and cheaper one. Fattwins should have told me which bindings I should NOT buy earlier. ;\) I really like mine and hopefully I'll get fatskis in a few years.

nicole, this is Fattwins helpful advice from last season.

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/5070.html?

I'm going to take mogul lesson with my Bandit B2W in April.

Hi slow, a mogul lesson on those skis? Where are you taking that? Might be easier to rent narrower skis for moguls.

I had a great time, and yes, fatties are on the top of my list.

Nic,

since you're from Sydney, give Larry Adlers at Collaroy a call and a visit - he was previously the Australian Ski Team boot fitter. Ensure he does the fitting - he won't push a particular brand and won't let you leave the shop without the correct pair/fitting.

Depending on how much ya wanna spend, look into the custom fit Strolz boots - comes in basically three types for different levels of expertise.

Each year the Strolz company sends two or three expert fitters over from Germany/Austria to assist Larry - if you can get either him or them, you'll have a pair of boots that are as comfortable as slippers.

Good luck.

SubZero, I'm actually from Brissy but I will check it out anyway. Sunrise has also given me a contact from down south which I'll be looking into.

I'm willing to spend a fair bit but nothing too crazy.

Quote:
Originally posted by nicole:
SubZero, I'm actually from Brissy but I will check it out anyway. Sunrise has also given me a contact from down south which I'll be looking into.

I'm willing to spend a fair bit but nothing too crazy.
Holy Shite Batman, BrisVegas!! eek.gif eek.gif

How do you peeps put up with skiing in Oz - the distance and all? Have met a few from Qld and WA who ride - what a travel nightmare. (I can see why you're interested in J-Land - you're closer to their ski fields than ours.)

The top-of-the-line injection moulded Stroltz's will set ye back about $1,000 - but they'll last a looong time and be very comfortable.

Anyway, good luck with the shopping around.