Fattwins is right. There are some lifts that are really not needed (e.g. Karasawa, Mizunashi) and it won't be a problem if they didn't operate them this season. But what if they close Challenger and Yamabiko on weekdays?

The only value of the Mizunashi lift was lapping the schweet powder traps and bumps under the lift itself. If they take out the lift and leave that stretch open, it would make a blissful little option to hit on the way through there...

According to Nikkei Net article, it was a kind of friendship gift from JAPAN-CHINA FRIENDSHIP ASSOCIATION OF NAGANO. They sent lots of ski equipments before, too. That's nice. I want to give my old skis to them. \:\)

• 3 months later...

I talked about this with owner of the minshuku while she was toasting pieces of Mochi on a charcoal grill in irori fireplace for me.

She is hoping this is going to boost the village economy. I hope so, too.

I liked Nozawa onsen very much. People are very relaxed and friendly. The onsen is not only for tourists but also for the local people's daily life. I could realize very nice Japanese culture there. It was so peaceful to have a nap to the sound of shoveling the snow outside...

Yamakashi is telling the truth

It was steep and the pillow landings were so nice and deep. Can't wait to get back to that hill.

I can't really add anything to the private thing except that this seems to be a hugely untapped hill from a gaijin perspective. A little international marketing could go along way.

And a nice gaijin owned Pension eh Fattwins \:D

> The onsen is not only for tourists but also for the local people's daily life.

I once went to that really crowded onsen on the 'main drag' and there was one grouchy old bastard trying to have his daily life in the onsen. At 5 o'clock, the little boxes of hot water were so packed with knackered skiers, everybody had to sit with their knees up to their chins.

In comes Grandad, who was not very relaxed and friendly, and says loudly "I want to get in!" Some slight effort was made to squeeze tighter but Grandad isn't having it - "I can't fit in!" he yells. Somebody graciously gets out and starts washing. "It's too hot!" complains Grandad straightaway, "I want to be near the cold tap!" He starts climbing over people's heads to get to the cold tap, flapping his towel and loose cobblers in people's faces. Next it's "I want to get out! Make room!" with more unapologetic stepping on people.

I bet he watches the weather forecast like any avid skier, and deliberately goes to the busiest onsen at quitting time on the big dump days so that he can pester tired skiers and make them feel guilty about getting in the way of the daily life of locals.

Despite your bad experience at the onsen, I go there about 4 times a week and it is normally plesent. You will find cranky old bastards anywhere, the solution would have been just to change onsens, there are enough for everyone in the town. Enjoy Nozawa, It is my home away from home in Japan, If only I could find a way to buy it, mmmm (I'm an Aussie by the way-talking about the previous comment, but just not a rich one) Just for curiosity does anyone know what it will go for?

> Who tells you that Grandad was a local?

Well, nothing definite you know, just something about the proprietary air with which he swung his bollocks in everybody's face...

> the solution would have been just to change onsens

Thank you, do you always give such practical advice? I could indeed have got dried, put on my clothes, walked across town to another bath far distant from the restaurant where I had already bagged a seat, just to get away from a grouchy old geezer who was making a very entertaining spectacle of himself.

> Enjoy Nozawa

Again, thank you. It never occurred to me.

Ocean you missed a sic weekend.

Toque im still thinking about my favorite line

for the weekend....... might have been old growth or that 50 degree chute and duck to the trees with a 2 meter pillow.

I gotta say that the best line of the week goes to the 2nd to last run down tsugaike droping the 3m rock in front of yama aka creekboy.

worst run was the chute off of the back for sure.

Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:

I gotta say that the best line of the week goes to the 2nd to last run down tsugaike droping the 3m rock in front of yama aka creekboy.

worst run was the chute off of the back for sure.
That was such a sweet huck FF! Sweet tuck and nice air time! clap.gif

Toque from across the valley looked sweet as dropping the dam too.