• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

brit-gob you obviously don't use electric carpets. They are absolutely wonderful. One of the many wonderful things about Japan. I have a couple of them. But it's definitely cooling down the last few days - time to pull out the heater finally....

Just spent the last weekend in Kagura. Fackin Sugoi.

On saturday, snowing at Yuzawa town, little heavier at mitsumata and pelting down at kagura. But with almost no wind it was ideal conditions if a little cloudy. 2-3feet of powder just off the main run at mitsumata (no joke!!) and was even some left for the final runs of the day. Kagura was amazing with 1.5metres of powder off piste and plenty of powder on piste most of the day!. Not too busy either.

Sunday, mitsumata ropeway at 8am. Still had to wait 30mins to get on the bstard thing!. Went straight to kagura and the weather was clear and sunny almost all day until the afternoon when snow flurries came in. Kagura was packed with people but every run was open. Main gelande was too busy but "Giant" course (Black No. 2 on map, left of 3 as you look at kagura) was fantastic. "Dynamic" course (red 3 on map) was sort of open but no lift running so a trek back to "Giant" from the bottom of dynamic was required (only 100m+, so not so bad). However, with tons of powder on "Dynamic" it was worth it.

Overall....tops!. Have some photos which I will upload tonight from sunday but not got any from saturdays powder party (ahem!) cos it was just too much fun to stop and take them.

tata

Also just came back from Kagura, never seen the place so much crowded before! eek.gif

I had to wait 30 mins just to get on the mitsumata ropeway. We scaled up to the top again this weekend, and it looked as if it was mid January! Unfortunately we were late to go up, so the snow was quite tracked. \:\(

Nevertheless we still had some really nice turns.

Quote:
Originally posted by longboardsk8man:
Yep!!! on the first train up from Tokyo and hopefully first lift as well..
If you are planing to get on the 6:40 train from Tokyo, dont expect to get on the first lift. You will be really lucky if you get on a lift befor 9:30.
 Quote:
Originally posted by tsondaboy:
 Quote:
Originally posted by longboardsk8man:
Yep!!! on the first train up from Tokyo and hopefully first lift as well..
If you are planing to get on the 6:40 train from Tokyo, dont expect to get on the first lift. You will be really lucky if you get on a lift befor 9:30.
Tsondaboy - geez didnt realise it was that bad this time of year!! grabbed my tix today - fortunately / unfortunately will be on the ungodly 6:08 Tokyo hatsu.. so hoping first lift....

any one else heading up????

Problem with Kagura is a lack of buses. You should probably check more, but I think this is what you'll find early morning:

Shuttle to Kagura (starting this Sat Dec 10)

http://www.princehotels.co.jp/ski/kagura/access.html

Yuzawa Onsen Dori --- Mitsumata

7:30 --> 8:00

8:30 --> 9:00

300 yen

Regular Bus

Yuzawa Bus Terminal --- Mitsumata

6:05 --> 6:25

8:20 --> 8:40

470 yen

If you arrive at Yuzawa really early and can round up some people to share a cab, that might be your fastest route. Not sure how much the fare is though. Either way, the Mitsumata Ropeway on weekends starts at 7:30.

Quote:
Originally posted by tsondaboy:
here are all the buses from echigo yuzawa station.

http://www.whitehorse-inn.com/bus.htm

The local buses are more expensive but more frequent also.
The last local bus from mitsumata to echigo yuzawa is at 19:58, so you dont have to harry down the slopes.
Heh heh, the good old White Horse Inn...Top place, close to ropeway, mountain of info. Also 4 of us drunk 2litres of local sake and more beer with the owner (Tanemura-san) last sat. night. Top bloke. Regretted that at 7am on sunday tho'. Also, well recommend the yuzawa restaurant (written in hiragana) near to the bus station after a hard day. The garlic much room chicken is fantastic!.

On the bus front, my experience of those early local buses, from last year, were that you had to walk briskly (i.e. run!) from the shink to the busstop to guarantee getting on them cos they are a tad busy.

A few pics from today at Kagura.

SerreChe_19.jpg

SerreChe_17.jpg

SerreChe_18.jpg

A nice day thanks to Montoya and Izumi-san.

It was my first day of the season (with new gear as well). Loved the gear (oh boy does that longboard float!)but I am sadly out of shape and was gasping for air during the hike-up. I need to get my sorry ass in shape!

Some pow-pow galore was to be had. I was exhausted fairly quickly. Was also checking the stance on the new board. Need to move the toes forward a notch or I really have to work heavily on the back leg to initiate frontside when on the groomed. Will be ok for the next time...