• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally posted by SerreChe:
Got a pad close to the snow, so will be in the white stuff more often this season. My son is already running around to improve his cardio before the snow season starts and he can get on his first skis. One dilemma though, should I teach him skiing or boarding first?
Do you think he will be up to skiing this season? How old is he now? You can also take him snow shoeing when he is very young. Just short walks to build comfort and familiarity with being a human on snow, plus alpine awareness at a young age. Its something the whole family can easily do together and walking in the woods after a heavy snowfall is one of the nicest things you can do, it is so peaceful. Most importantly, it will give him valuable back country travel skills. Get him a little back pack and put his lunch in it, make him work! ;\)

Quote:
Indoor joint every w/e for 2 months! That is motivation/eagerness! I bet you will be quitting the Finance industry and going into the snow biz one way or another at some stage.
Fifteen years ago I promised myself that I would quit 5 day a week (office) work at the age of 35 and live a different way for the second third of my useful adult life. This year I turn 34, I have no kids, not a dollar of debt and no ambition to be even slightly rich when I am old. My plans have not changed, one year to go \:D
 Quote:
Yep snow-shoeing is a great idea. Not sure about good spots though. Will have to investigate. Have you already decided as to what you will do?
Besides living a very simple life I will continue my personal involvement with and research into speculative risk in all its forms - from physical to financial.

That's a pretty nondescript tip of a massive iceberg which I placed myself on many years ago. It is what I am interested in and has defined everything I have ever done. Human nature and risk.
If monetary income is a by product of that process then so be it. I will also take little jobs here and there to supplement my limited living money.

If the opportunity arises I would also like to go back to university or another type of education institute, but that has a very low likelihood due to other circumstances.
I won't say any more online \:\)
You can snowshoe anywhere of the side of the road, can't you? Up any little track of small hill.

Mate, there's not much more to say. Basically I am not going to "work". I'll give up a day or so per week doing any old job to earn 100 bucks. I'll dedicate a lot of my time and mind to some research that I have been doing for years. I'll spend a massive amount of time exploring the mountains and in summer, to build up a little pile of spending money, I'll do some 9-5 work for a few months: labouring or perhaps even short term contract myself back to the banking world as a consultant. The idea is to be almost totally free for a good few years to let myself be me again and to see what I become when I fully commit to what I am good at and/or what I enjoy doing. I decided to pursue the career I have now when I was 18. It is inconceivable to expect me to still want the same thing 17 years later as a 35 year old adult. Of course, it helps to have a partner paying the rent whilst she pursues her dreams.

Any way, I reckon you have 4 lives, roughly according to the following age brackets. I plan to live each one quite differently:

0 - 20: useless years of being a dependent (although I was out of home at 18)

20 - 35: first life

35 - 50: second life

50 - 65: third life

65 - 80: fourth life

80 - death: possibly useless years of being a dependent

Snowshoeing with the 1 yr old: strap him to your chest.

• 2 weeks later...

ah, u're not missing epic runs, so no worries :p

540 ground tricks, them pushing each other to the ground, drinking beer from kegs in the parking lot. for a minute, i wished i wer back in colorado for the next month and a half

SEASON'S ON!!

Hey how is it going? Just been reading through the forums there seems to be a fair few people here. I am fairly new to Japan. Lived here for 5 months (Jan to June) at the start of the year. I learned to ski in January on Mount Jeans (but learnt the most at Alts bandai). I have really got the bug. I moved back to Japan about 4 weeks ago for 2 years and one of the main reasons is skiing. So my questions is this: where are the kick a** spots to go to? I am just a beginer so I cannot do anything too crazy, but I am also keen to learn! Seems a lot of people located in Tokyo so you are probably familiar with Mt Jeans. Anyways, it would be cool to meet a few people through these forums. Located in Utsunomiya. Not bad place, bit dead sometimes though for a paddy!

Quote:
Great, starting off already. Too bad could not see the vid. Probably not much to see though that early in the season.
Not so
People have been skiing some incredible lines already in the Colorado backcountry
 Quote:
Originally posted by moloney:
Hey how is it going? Just been reading through the forums there seems to be a fair few people here. I am fairly new to Japan. Lived here for 5 months (Jan to June) at the start of the year. I learned to ski in January on Mount Jeans (but learnt the most at Alts bandai). I have really got the bug. I moved back to Japan about 4 weeks ago for 2 years and one of the main reasons is skiing. So my questions is this: where are the kick a** spots to go to? I am just a beginer so I cannot do anything too crazy, but I am also keen to learn! Seems a lot of people located in Tokyo so you are probably familiar with Mt Jeans. Anyways, it would be cool to meet a few people through these forums. Located in Utsunomiya. Not bad place, bit dead sometimes though for a paddy!
Mt Jeans?