Future rider in Habuka seeks trip planning advice

G'day,

This subject seemed like an appropriate place to post that i am also travelling alone to Hakuba, but not until later in the new year, I will be there for a month from 3rd feb - 3rd march. I will be staying at Snowbeds. im keen to meet up with some people to ride and/or party with, im not one of the ruffian type aussies that have taken over niseko though \:\) .. Being from australia this will be my first time boarding deep powder, might even need some riding tips if anyone has any? .. I am most likely getting a season pass to ride at happo but im happy to spend the cash for a few days ride at another resort.. I was traveling with one mate but he got injured in iraq and now im travelling by my lonesome, im told you meet more people and have more fun that way! .. I hope to god its true ;\)

Cheers and many beers,

Benny

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Benny:

A month is a long time to be living on instant noodles. If you need some home cooking pop up the road to our place (about 200m up from snow beds on the left).

Beers are welcome, but picking up a bottle of Oz wine (red) when coming thru duty free will make you very welcome.

Staying at snowbeds I'm sure you will find someone to board with most days. Mitch will give you some advice on some some semi secret spots. Staying for a month make sure you get out and see other things like the snow monkeys, Matsomoto castle and the Nagano temple. As far as boarding on deeep pow, set you bindings right back and keep the front of your board up.

Misorano: I will hold you to that, i will bring you a couple of bottles of aussie wine \:\) ... I have heard the rice wine in japan can be quite lethal to drink too? i wanna try it out \:\) my mates said try habusake or something.

As for mitch slapping me upside the head for getting a happo pass, i am not completely sold on happo yet, i was just going to buy a season pass when i got there and not book it or anything so i can try out 47 also and see which i like better. Most likely the selling point will be where most of the people i will be riding with have passes, but im always open to suggestions! ..

Also i plan on taking in the sights and culture of Japan, i went to mastuto mobashii in high school for 2 months as an exchange student. Had the time of my life \:\) Just hope my japanese holds up to get me through everyday \:\)

Cheers!

Benny

every mountain has its selling points. im a happo fan because on a powder day it has more space to lap up the powder. 47 goryu has great steeps but they are in areas that slide or they are closed (ie patrol try to catch you).

habusake = snokewine and is mostly found down south.

Snowbenny - I think i saw your posts on ski.com.au also, i'm arriving at Snowbeds on the same night as you so we will definitely meet for a few beers and hopefully a ride. That goes for anyone there at the time, can't beat making mates travelling. I'll be riding 47, but seems im there for 10 days i'd love to hit up Happo also.

Misorano, i like that offer! If its ok i'll take you up on that too :p

fb_steve i have been doing a bit of reading up on 47 and im thinking im going to ride there too. I will go visit happo of course, but im keen to stick with 47 for my season pass. And i will probably be arriving on the 4th now because my plane has a stopover in singapore or something.

We will def catch up for beers both you blokes, a good time will be had!

Hey Snowbenny, Thats sounds good, I'll be in Niseko for a week first, so right now probably wouldn't be at Habuka 47 till the week of 2/20-2/23.

Have u book any hotel yet for Habuka 47? Got any recommendations? haven't look into hotel yet, still planning dates at the moment.

Later

Im not staying at a hotel as such. Im staying at a backpackers called Snowbeds. From what im told its a pretty good place to stay and is a good place to meet people to ride with. Afterall im not going to Hakuba to stay in a nice hotel, im going there to snowboard so where i sleep doesnt bother me too much. And there is a vending machine that sells beer right outside the door and an Onsen (bath house thing) not to far away. I havent been there before or anything, but from my own research and asking people stuff i can gather it will be a decent lodging for a month \:\) .. If your going to book get in soon i hear it gets booked out pretty quickly around this time of year. The owner mitch seems like a pretty cool guy too.

(if anyone has any info for me on staying at snowbeds please feel free to share it, experiences etc.. i would be glad to hear it:) ) ..

Cheers,

Benny

I just booked for Snowbeds from December 20th untill January 17th, I may be extending it though, or moving to another resort, or doing a bit of travelling round the countryside \:\) choices choices \:D

Anyone else gonna be there that fancies a bit of boarding together? I gonna be travelling alone so I will probably get lonely, up on the mountains by myself after a while \:\(

thanks for the info Snowbed sounds fine to me, since I feel the same way, going there for boarding, where I sleep is not important. Could anyone forward me the contact person or website for Snowbed? Guess I should book it now.

Wow Snowbenny, you going to stay there for one month, thats a long a$$ time! H

SnowBenny /advantyper:

If you guys are going to be around for a while then we'll prob meet up as I live a few hundred yards up the road from Snowbeds.

I'm planning to be on the slopes most mornings. Still waiting on lottery results as to where. I'm a beginner, but with a little practice should be able to do OK.

I'm hoping to cut through the back of the hanagoyomi hotel (closed) and then head down to Happo, but will be driving to other places. If we're heading in the same direction I'll give you a ride, but I need to be back by noon to work in the afternoon (unless it's really good out)

Misorano

Thats sounds good, I'll planning to stay in Snowbed probably for at least 2 nights, depending on how good the snow and mountain is, I might stay another day or so.

Are you a skiier or boarder? Have you got your jacket and stuff? I get Columbia Sportswear and Mountain Hardwear gear for wholesale price! Which is around 50-60% off retail. Maybe we could work something out about lodging? \:\)