Future rider in Habuka seeks trip planning advice

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 100% female. Nads is short for Nadia (it's an unfortunate nickname I know...but one I've grown accustomed to).

I've ridden most resorts in Alberta and BC. I love a lot of powder; the more the better as far as I'm concerned. Tree trails are great fun, and I've been spotted fooling around in the half pipe more than once.

Fattwins,

I just don't want to tote one around, but I suppose if I saw one for a decent price, I suppose I'd indulge. No suggestions on where to rent one then? That's alright. I'll figure it out.

Also, there are 2 backpacker inns in Hakuba; snowbeds and hakuba alps backpackers. Which should I book at, or are they more or less the same? Is one closer to Tracks pub?

nads, you can often find used stuff online here too - usually good condition and reasonable prices...

Backpackers is closer to 47/Goryu

Snowbeds is closer to Happo one

both are good, clean, and cheap. Im sure youd enjoy either place. Tracks pub is really cool and fun to hang out at too. But, I think there are better restaurants over by Happo village.

hi nads, spicy rentals was really popular last year, but there's plenty of places you can rent a board - including at a lot of the hotels (like mominoki hotel's visitor centre, etc)

BUT- thanks to tsondaboy i now have a spare board sitting in my living room which yr welcome to borrow, if you'd like. however, it has step-in bindings & is probably too small - see his original post below_

"Any small build lady out there that needs a board? My girlfriedn doesnt use it any more and it just takes space in my room.

It is a “Ride” 138 cm 2003 model with ride step-in bindings and boots.

The size of the boots is 24 Jap, sorry but I have no idea what that is in European

or American sizes. The boots clip on the bindings tip to tow, not sidewise, and the hi-back is located on the bindings, not in the boots (that makes them a bit better than other step-in bindings).The base is almost new, but since it has been sitting in the closet for some time now, it definetly needs a good tunning."

i think the boots are a size 7. i stopped by snowbeds a couple of times, the owner mitch is a great guy & they have cable tv - i got to see the simpsons once, which just about made my winter.

goryu has night skiing, too, which is nice. you can also do night runs at nakiyama, but goryu is longer.

also - when are you coming? happo didn't get much snow until christmas last year - until then we had to take a lift to the top & back. everyone was so happy as the weather was so mild, but i was praying for snow !

not sure what it will be like this year?

I ride a 143 and it's already bordering on "too small", so I won't push it with a 138, althouh thank you very much for the offer.

I get the feeling renting a decent board shouldn't be a problem. Thank you for appeasing my paranoia-prone self.

I'm coming on Dec.28 with hopes of ridin on the 29th and 30th for sure, maybe on the 31st too. I was just assuming there'd be enough snow by then. How much is a one day lift pass anyway? Do they have 2 or 3 days deals?

Thanks to all of ya'll again. You've answered all the questions I had. Cheers! If you see a lone boarder chick riding in your area shortly after Christmas, say hello! I like company.

"moninoki wont let you rent unless you stay at the hotel"

my friends were the rental staff there over winter & i'm 99.9% sure anyone can rent from them. but occasionally the stock ran out & they had to get stuff in from spicy.