Future rider in Habuka seeks trip planning advice

Hi!

I'm a ski bum from the Canadian Rockies currently teaching in South Korea. I'm coming to Japan for my winter holiday in December. I was just hoping to meet some people who will be there that I can maybe party with, since I'm travelling solo (none of the people I've met here like to ski).

I was also hoping a Hakuba veteran would be kind enough to give me some travel advice. I have heeps of questions, like; which would you recommend? New Years at a ski hill in Hakuba? Or New Years in Tokyo? Is it gonna be really busy? Do I even need to book my accomodations etc. now?

All help will be greatly appreciated. My last trip to Japan (Fukuoka,Nagasaki) was a constant struggle.

Peace

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally posted by Nads:

New Years at a ski hill in Hakuba? Or New Years in Tokyo? Is it gonna be really busy? Do I even need to book my accomodations etc. now?
I'd do New Years in Hakuba. Will probaly be good snow and fresh tracks if you don't party it up too hard the night before

I had amazing New Years skiing on the 1st last year. Met up with FT and Yama. Snow was deep deep deep.

i worked new year's at a pub in hakuba, it wasn't nearly as big as some of the other nights during the season - it seemed like everyone came together because there was nowhere else to go..

i recall mtv japan being on in the background on a big screen & someone how the whole countdown being overlooked - i guess they celebrate differently here.. but it was a late night, just most people were holding out for the powder the next day.

if you want a huge party/fireworks/whatever, maybe go to tokyo. but if you want a nice night of drinks, late-nite onsen & fresh powder, well, go to hakuba, my friend.

THanks for all the replies! They were a HUGE help!

I've never used chatroom (?) before, so I don't know if I can just reply to one of you, or if I just put a general reply up. But anyway...

I DID stay at the Tenjin Capsule hotel, and I DID go to the crazy cock, but only to have a look. It was REALLY dead and I felt silly having a beer by myself.

NO, I have never worked at Norquay, although I've ridden around Banff countless times.

I got two different responses about New years, but 2 different perspectives, so thanks!

And thanks for suggesting I book sonner than later. THe Omoshiro Hashinchi (Escuole...?)hotel seems like it's the happenin place. Should I book there?

never heard of that hotel before. the year mr. wiggles ran tracks the new tears party rocked large. Last year with a cover and all the load club music it lost a bit of its appeal for me. id prefer to have a nice party with a ton of chatting. you can private message anyone on here.

contact me if you want hotel info in hakuba

omoshiro Hashinchi was the happenin' place about ten years ago, when there was a mos burger, baskin robbins, etc. now it's very cheap & quite rundown - i heard a guest remark, 'this isn't a one-star hotel, this is a no-star hotel!'

but the price is right, so if yr not intending to spend too long in yr room, go for it. & don't go by the photos, i heard they haven't been updated in some time.

& no, i wasn't at tracks. i've actually never been there, but maybe this season?

i think escuole is the name of the actual hotel, and omoshiro was the name of the whole resort, with the nightclub, etc.

they've got new people in charge down there & i know they're trying - as i said before, if you're not expecting the Ritz, go for it. How much were you wanting to spend, anyway?

Do they offer a shuttle to Happo? If not, it may be a bit of a hike up the hill to the lifts. Maybe liquidx etc can help with that part?

Sorry I haven't posted in a few days, but I was in Jeju island for the Thanksgiving holiday.

Anywho, as for my budget I care more about staying at a place with a good location or a place that's easy to meet people at, than I care about luxury. I'd prefer a cheaper place, since it's just me and the only thing I plan on doing in the hotel room is sleeping and showering, but if there's a better place at a higher cost, then so be it.

And yes, the website says the hotel offers a free shuttle to Hakuba 47, Happo, etc.

So general concensus is that this Escuole place is alright? If so, here's my next question; where would be the best place to rent a board? From the hotel? At a snow shop? At the ski hill? As long as I don't get step-in bindings, I'm cool with anything.

Thanks again for all your help...especially Bettyx (not z)!

Peace