We're thinking of going up to Niseko this time to see what the fuss is all about but we want to avoid crowds as much as possible - but have decent snow conditions. Any tips on when might be a good time to go? Maybe just after New Year?

Luckily we are quite flexible with our main holidays this comingwinter.

thanks

I was there 2 or 3 winters ago now, so I’m not sure how much busier the place has gotten.

During December and March all the guests at the pension were Japanese. During Jan and Feb all the guests were Aussie.

Early December was relatively empty, but its quite early on in the season. I know some years things are in full swing by then, so if you can leave your plans until the last minute, check the conditions and do a hit-and-run mission then.

End of February was getting emptier, and by march all the other aussies had gone. Of course its was warm and slushier by then. But again, conditions could change - we had some great late season snow, and it was totally empty.

Avoid weekends. Very crowded.

Avoid new years/xmas. Very crowded.

There would be less people in Feb i'd think cause school holidays finish at the end of Jan in Aus - lots of families go to niseko cause of this, was the deal for us both times our family went. Maybe late feb to keep it safe

mind due, it never gets that crowed at all from my experience, the slopes do when there are schools at the resort but they just stick to the bottom of the mountain, head up to the top and its not crowded at all!

The popular out-of-date image is of crowded slopes in Honshu and empty slopes in Hokkaido. That no longer seems to be the case.

If you go on a weekday anywhere round here, you sometimes have the mountain almost to yourself!

I'm sure they are, just Niseko seems to be the busy busy place in recent years (and increasingly so).

I love those weekdays when you go and never have to wait for a lift or for a course to clear. Great!

They had the new Niseko Harmony owner/manager on a local TV show here recently. He was discussing plans for the resort etc. He had some valid points, one was talking about injecting new life into the snow industry which has been in a steady decline over the last 15 years here in Japan. He also discussed the aging industry and unchanged resorts (circa 1970s) that exist and how people want more from their snow experiance than curry rice and an aging lift system.

Everyone might complain about Niseko/Aussies and overcrowding but this may lead to an improvement in what is now available plus it is a great boost to the Hokkaido economy!

Quote:
Originally posted by viv&kev:
We're thinking of going up to Niseko this time to see what the fuss is all about but we want to avoid crowds as much as possible - but have decent snow conditions. Any tips on when might be a good time to go? Maybe just after New Year?
I always have it uncrowded. But if I tell you I'll have to kill yas
;\)

> snow experiance than curry rice and an aging lift system.

Yes, like meat sauce spaghetti and an ageing lift system. Not really on topic, but I'd rather have decrepit and cheap than spanking new and expensive.