Hi I was wondering what kind of shared accomodation options their are for staying in the major Japanese resorts.

I've recently decided I am going to take a year off work and blow some of the money i've saved. Top on the lists of things I'd like to do is a ski season in Japan. I've been studying Japanese on and off for about two years and in that time i've been twice, but recently I got into snowboarding and I would love to combine the two hobbies by learning Japanese while improving my snowboarding. The thing is i'm worried because I would be going out their alone and I might not get as much social contact as I would like to. Therefore I was hoping to find out if there are lodges or organisations where individuals of different nationalities (including Japanese)house share, kind of in the university sense. Self catering, do your own washing ect...

I would assume if your staying for a season you have to do something like this or get your own place.

I'm also British so getting a working holiday visa would be possible, meaning I could support myself while i'm out there (assuming I could find a job).

Any info would be much appreciated.

I'd really like the freedom of movement that comes with the two not being attached. Though if it were the right job I would certainly consider staying on with that as long as possible, especially with accomadation as a bonus. Shared though is something I would certainly be likely to enjoy more (assuming it's the right kind of people ;O)

Well, i had an aquaintance go to a resort in Niigata to help build their park and boardercross course. I went to go visit him there, and he was staying in staff housing for the hill.

From what i heard, it is not much different than staff housing at resorts in north america. It was cafeteria food, and you shared a room with up to 3 other people. Because of the living arrangements, socializing is not a problem. It is mandatory. And i expect staff housing would be cheaper than anything else you would find in the area (as well as being 'on-hill' and convenient). If you really want to learn japanese and have social contact, i say go with staff accom. Sure, there will be drunkeness and probably your roomate on the top bunk will bring girls over, but you will live.

I'm seriously considering binning my job and doing a season here hopefully without having to work- I'm thinking to buy that season pass to Kandatsu just because its so cheap and get a room or a van somewhere in the Yuzawa area-

I'm starting to think I might spend a month in Hakuba and then possibly travel upwards towards the Hokkaido resorts, see'ing the sight along the way. The only problem being the more traveling I do the more it's gonna cost me. Maybe if i'm lucky I might make friends during the first long term stay, people willing to do the same.

If you're not into the scenery so much I think you can get a ferry from Niigata up to Hokkaido - cheap that I hear. Not sure how long it takes, but its not that long.

Here ends BagOfCrisps advice on Japan, brought to you from London. lol.gif