Top Posters In This Topic

• Fattwins

• mattlucas

• Yuki's Passion

• bushpig

Quote:
Originally posted by dizzy:
happy trails, toque!

i'm planning a 4 to 5-day trip in the northern alps in early or mid september. i wanna see the mts. before the snow falls. Hakuba to Omachi on the high route.
most guide magazines in japanese and the guidebook in english say to hike up the snowfield/Daisekkei from Sarukura, but i figure i'll add another half-day/day on starting from tengu.
the ridge looks good, there's water and huts all along the route. reading up on it is getting me stoked!
Sounds like a good trip Dizzy
And with all that gear you've been buying I hope you will be tenting the thing
Let us know about it

I'd wait until September just to avoid the crowds. There will easily be 50% less people the first week of Sept

But if you do go in September be careful because some of the huts close and they are the only places to get water sometimes when you are high on a mountain ridge

looking forward to getting up on the ridge. i wanna hit all the peaks west of the valley, esp. the southern ones: karamatsu, karazu, goryu.

haven't decided when exactly, but there's a 3-day weekend somewhere in september, FT, and i plan on hiking during that time. will let u know.

my apine-lowe expedition pack is made in vietnam, as most most is made in se asia.

heading up to fuji w/ co-workers tomorrow and sat. forecast calls for rain but fuji's gotta be done.

yeah, no rain on Fuji.

when i got home, i ordered my winter tent.

i was debating between the northface 25 and the Eureka K2 XT. i decided on going one smaller and got the Eureka Alpinelite 2XT, more than enough floor space for two people + gear (54cm x 90)

ERK0011.jpg

i got a bunch of accessories and an ice axe for less than 330 USD. score! All Eureka products are on sale for the summer until the 31st. my gear is on the way to my mom's in wisconsin!

Quote:
Originally posted by dizzy:

my apine-lowe expedition pack is made in vietnam, as most most is made in se asia.
Most everything is made in SE Asia
There is a difference though from buying locally in SE Asia and from buying in Japan or Canada
And that difference is much more than the hundreds of dollars in price difference
 Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:

[/qb]
Most everything is made in SE Asia
There is a difference though from buying locally in SE Asia and from buying in Japan or Canada
And that difference is much more than the hundreds of dollars in price difference [/QB]

true. Even the North Face stuff here (in the semi-regular stores) in Bangkok feel like seconds. I was looking at hiking boots but they seemed cheap. In the full-on fake shops, the north face/columbia/spyder gore tex jackets are super funny. It"s even funnier watching some white guy getting taken....well, it does say goretex so it must be good lol.gif

I am now FT. Spent 5 days in Thailand. Gotta love the massages! 5 of them and my knee is 98% better.

Today I tried out surfing on a flowrider. Slammed 5 times real hard before getting the hang of it. good fun though thumbsup.gif

FT and EBC, i've still got your sleeping pads. sold/passed on mine to a buddy and he's used it twice so far. said it was spot on.

FT, empty your privates.

just realized how that sounded. haha. your PMs, i mean