• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fattwins

• mattlucas

• Yuki's Passion

• bushpig

If you guys want a little more adventure (and way better snow) and don't mind a little more hiking then you should check out the north faces of Norikura

I'd pick up a topo map of the area first though and study it pretty good to get an understanding of how to get out

id stay out of the north faces right now cause you are snowshoeing. I think that you will find it hard going on the way back. my 2 cents.

lots of wind here today with yesterdays snow line at about 1600meters. so more freash snow on a rain crust. very sunny today but cool winds.

stick with what you know for now you could easily do 2 laps on the south face of norikura or a main face for a warm up then back up for a south face. safe and you know and understand the area.

kuma why not bring the wife with you?

no gear for her (I know I could get some from Dave) but more importantly she doesn't like riding when there's an element of danger.

I'll ask her again though, she broke trail in knee deep snow last week just for a good line (with no snowshoes!)

Nice having you there for conditions thumbsup.gif

Most people that go into that area are on snowshoes with either snowboard or skis on back

We didn't understand the area FT and we dropped in no problem for 2 amazing runs

I'd look at a map first though and wouldn't drop in unless you understand how to get out. They sell topo maps at most book stores all over Japan. There are 2 for Hakuba. Get the north one that covers Happo-One and everything to the north

White and green with a number on the carboard cover

Painting of a green mountain with white sky. Cost about 800 yen I think

You should just have the map in general for safety sake. It's strange how many people can't read maps, don't carry, or care about them

gps with a map is better. Although I had not done those chutes before. I did know where I could ski into cortina or norikura as i have done that before. I say stick with what you know for now that hike was long. there is plenty of time to do that line as you are here for a long time. Toque is on a time crunch mission, lol.

word around hakuba is that maybe 2 to 3 skiers might be lost or killed above happo somewhere the teachersw were talking about it.

cb keep running and we will see you the following weekend. as for gear kuma your wife can borrow a full avie kit off of me just buy me batteries for the beacon.

Keep us updated on that FT

Map is the best

Never fails and unless it blows away in the wind is always there. I'd never replace a map with a gps. I'd use a gps along with a map but never a gps without a map

Dropping into Norikura or Cortina has nothing to do with dropping off the north side like we did

For us at the time that entire face was new. If you always ski what you know then you will never get anywhere. That's just me though and I like a little adventure in my outings.

FT

Is it possible to stay at your place over the weekend? I am waiting to hear when I have to be at work next week, so not sure exactly length of stay, but arrive Friday and leave between Sunday night and Tuesday night.

Gah, stupid steep and cheap.

Yesterday I went to order the goggles because as you guys (well the ones that matter) know, I left mine on a bus from Hakuba.

I decided to get two because it's the same price for shipping and I have a friend who might want the second ones.

I go to order and I get 'Internal server error'. So I try again... and again... and again. All up about 10 times until finally I get an order number and a receipt.

What do I get in my email today? A message saying that two orders have gone through and have been shipped. I rang up backcountry.com and they said that they're going to see if they can cancel one of the shipments with UPS and get back to me. They also implied that if they couldn't cancel it with UPS, I could mail the goggles that I didn't want back to them for a refund (hah).

I guess if they won't refund my money I will just cancel one of the transactions with the CC company.

i think that they will do you right mate. Backcountry.com is pretty big so dont worry about it. what head gear did you get?

toque i agree with you on that adventure but I have been up there 20 plus times before and you have been up there around 7 or so now.

you have your mountian bairings cause you hike all the time, these guys dont. in that case i say stay safe and do what you know.

I knew where cortina was and where norikura was even at the top of the ridge without a map I doubt that they do.

i wont be at my house if you want to stay please pm me it isnt a problem.

Also Toque i trust you when we are together it sounds lame but it is a big part of pushing myself. i would not push myself as hard with certain people that I dont really trust in the BC.

It doesn't hurt to go and have a look when they are up there though

Either way you guys are going to have a good time

Doing what you know is best. That's one reason why I enjoy skiing at a certain resort over other resorts so much. Because I know the terrain.

20 times??

Where did you go if the first time for you to even get as high as the heli landing area was with me a couple weeks ago

always over the backside or down the south faces with dave. the same spot we skied with cb. thats where dave does his rac courses. maybe not 20 plus about 20 or so. i used to go there with some other guides from daves office just to dig a pit.