Let me tell you folks..... this Vicodin is good shiznit! \:D

Sorry Kintaro! My comprehension skills are weak in this state. I mean, weaker than usual which is pretty bad! lol.gif

Have a good time in Aomori! I like that city a lot. Take your board - I bet Hakkoda still has some snow! ;\)

hey Oyuki kigan did you totally snap the ACL or just damage it? My best mate unfortunately snapped his last month playing aussie rules and has to have it in a full brace until his sugery in 2 months. is really bad can like move his leg sideways at the knee joint with out the brace, its like literraly holding his leg together! good luck with the surgery mate! lots of exercise and rehab and it will be sweet

My acl is gone, it is no longer of this world. Thank you for the kind words. I'm hoping all goes well. It should be healed enough to walk on by the time i make it back to Japan in August or september. Whether i can carry my luggage is another matter...

Oyuki - did you have the surgery yet? Thought it was on the 22nd. Good luck with everything! I'm sure it will go just fine. ;\)

I had my first knee surgery (meniscus) the day after I defended my masters thesis. I moved to Hawaii 2 weeks later. I wasn't in the best state for travelling, but I got around okay. I would hate to have to walk through Narita with a bum knee though! You should be fine - plenty of recovery time before you move.

See if you can't get a bulkhead or emergency exit seat for your flights. Seriously - explain your situation to the airline and they may be able to help out. You're going to want that extra leg room. I've done this on a couple of ocassions and it helps sooooo much.

Great idea, plucky. I'll definately try that. I do have the surgery on the 22nd. I also have a job interview for an ALT position in Yamanashi on the 19th, and i'm more worried about that.

I'll send pics of the surgery if i can. Thanks for all the advice!

plucky, I brought my other board and went to your old hood (I think) for a couple of hours. I looked for the guy with the yellow wet suit but didn't see him. It's still pretty cold up there!

How you holding out over there in Ak? PM if there is anything you miss/need/want from Nippon.

I'm not sure about the video. I was pretty much 'batan-kyuu...' as soon as i got my spinal. But the knee itself looks good. No stiches even, just sticky-sutures that will fall off when its healed. And i'm trying to learn some new tricks on my cruthes (like going to the bathroom, its DAMN hard with a knee splint on!)

i fractured a bone in my knee due to lack of cartilage or something (i forget the details) at the ripe age of 17 from the impact of jumping around on the basketball court. its given me trouble ever since (3 years ago). its a good thing i cant afford to snowboard that often because im positive id do it in again.

i wish you guys the best with your recoveries.

have just completed two knee surgeries back to back....torn medial meniscus and torn acl. Two weeks after surgery and I am walking around with a brace. No swellng but lots of scar tissue. Goldf in a couple of weeks I hope. I would be careful about predictions of making it for this season. Most conservative estimates say that the new ligament will be fully healed after about 6 months but not necessarily strong enough. Your repaired leg dhould be at least as strong as your unaffected leg. Don't even consider it otherwise...

Quote:
Originally posted by talisker:
have just completed two knee surgeries back to back....torn medial meniscus and torn acl. Two weeks after surgery and I am walking around with a brace. No swellng but lots of scar tissue. Goldf in a couple of weeks I hope. I would be careful about predictions of making it for this season. Most conservative estimates say that the new ligament will be fully healed after about 6 months but not necessarily strong enough. Your repaired leg dhould be at least as strong as your unaffected leg. Don't even consider it otherwise...
Talisker, youre alive eh?? Got a call from todd that you wanted me to call you but just havent... did he tell you hes gonna come live with me for a while?

Too bad you blew out your knee. Especially with the little one around now \:\)

I promise to call you at some point this week.

Take it easy mate!

広島組

lol.gif
 Quote:
Originally posted by Oyuki kigan:
I'm not sure about the video. I was pretty much 'batan-kyuu...' as soon as i got my spinal. But the knee itself looks good. No stiches even, just sticky-sutures that will fall off when its healed. And i'm trying to learn some new tricks on my cruthes (like going to the bathroom, its DAMN hard with a knee splint on!)
You got a spinal? Were you conscious for the procedure?

My first surgery, I got a spinal because I wanted to watch what they were doing on the TV screen. Ummm, got the spinal, my legs felt numb, and then they started cutting. I could feel it..... I told them it hurt like hell, a mask was over my face, and I woke up and the surgery was over. Trippy to think about it still....

The bathroom thing - you have no choice - you gotta take it almost all the way off! When you can't bend one leg, things get, well, interesting \:\)

No stitches, eh? Shoots, I'm going to have some decent scars. I was surprised (as I said above) when I took my bandage off and looked. Because of some flooding at my place (why I've been absent recently), I missed my doc appt and won't see him for my follow up for 3 more days - so I still have yet to hear exactly what he did. I was too groggy post-surgery to remember shit.

taliskier - I thought 6 months was full-healage (is that a word?). From past experiences and knowing people who have had ACLs and MCLs repaired, they have been back at full strength in four to six months.

Rehab is key. Flexibility is paramount. I'm working on that big-time right now. I did get out for a real fishing expedition today! Only 3 weeks since surgery. It felt gooood \:\)

Oyuki and Tali - good luck with the recovery! Hope you don't get as mother ()&(^*(^^* bored as I have ;\)
 Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
I got a spinal and couldnt feel anything. You must have had a bad doc giving you that spinal.

I will say that I freaked out not beeing able to move or feel my legs.
I don't blame the anethsiologist at all. Drugs just hit people in different ways. Some hit me hard, some don't do anything to me. The spinal wasn't guaranteed by any means - I was just one of the unlucky few who it doesn't work on.

For some reason, I can't wear windup watches either. Something about my blood. Ehh, no biggy.
  • 2 weeks later...

I think human knees should have been designed to have been stronger. The number of skiers I know who have duff knees now is incredible...