I am booked for ACL surgery on the 22nd. I guess its been coming for a while now (i busted it in Japan about 8 years ago). I had a good run without it, and a great long season in whistler, so now its time to bite the bullet before i head back to Japan.

I was just wondering if any of you have had it, and what the recovery times for you were, and how is your skiing/riding/snow scootering now?

Is it feasible that i can be back out this winter?

I've got to hobble to a meeting right now, but I've got some info for you as I'm sure many others do.

Heck, I'll let you know how mine goes when I get home tomorrow evening from the hospital ;\)

I tore my medial meniscus and was out for about 6 plus weeks. Not nearly as serious as an ACL Im told though.

Hope your rehab goes well. Do what the doc says and work on rehab at home too and you should be back this winter. Still got 6 months to get strong.

i had mine done in June 2001 and i skied opening day in Whistler in November. I had to be careful that first season but it should be 100% for the 2nd. (Assuming you are dilligent about physio and fitness)

The thing that took the longest to return to normal was my hamstring (where they borrowed the tissue). Even now I sometimes feel tightness there.

Get a cryocuff too. If your surgeon hasn't told you already.

Good luck!

Pure stupidity. I was trying to spin off a stupid tiny table top in this hill in japan (some tiny one in Hokkaido, i can't remember), and i wasn't getting enough air to spin a 3. So i went a little faster, spun fine, and cleared the landing to flat. My knee couldn't take it, and here i am.

You should have no problem being back in time for the snow season. As others have mentioned, be rigorous with your PT regime and stick with it!

Two years ago I had my meniscus repaired on Oct 30th and I was back out skiing in mid December. I rehabed the hell out of it in anticipation for the coming season and things went fairly well. An ACL will definitely take you longer to recover from than a meniscus repair, but it sounds like you'll have plenty of time. A friend of mine was skiing 3 months after having his repaired and I think that is about the usual target time for a full recovery.

PS - the current procedure I'm having done isn't related to the last surgery. I don't want you thinking I came back too soon and blew it out again.. \:\)

Had mine done in October and skied again in December, but in January my knee was all swollen I couldn't extend or bend my knee anymore. Had to skip the rest of the season.

So don't be overzealous with getting back to the action. Take it slow to recover 100%.

I made it through the procedure and I'm alive and well! Well in this case means in a lot of freaking pain, but it's to be expected. The Vicodin is doing a good job at knocking out most of the pain, but damn if it doesn't make me dizzier than hell. This recovery is definitely going to be more difficult than my other ones, but I'm optimistic and looking forward to the future on my new knee!

Veronica - skiing has most certainly played a role in two of my surgeries, but it wasn't skiing that was the initial root of the problem. I've played basketball, American football, ran track (mostly jumping events) and played rugby most of my life. I really think that it was the long and triple jumping in track that screwed me up and destroyed my knees. But, from what the surgeon told me, I should be just fine skiing as long as I stick with my rehab. For the next week, however, It's just going to be me, my lazy boy, copious amounts of pills and some good books and movies while I wait for the pain and swelling to diminish. Then it's time to get busy!

Oyuki - are you having your surgery done in Canada? If so, I'm just curious - how long have you had to wait to get it repaired (since you made the decision to do so)? I've heard that it can take up to 6 months to get in to even see a doctor in Canada. Is this the case? Keep us updated on how everything goes! Best of luck to you!

Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
plucky have a beer on me.
Vicodin - yup, that would basically knock you on your @ss. Hope your recovery goes good. Feel for yall with ops going on. Knocking on wood that I wont have to get one from an injury but can already feel my left knee giving out some \:\(

When I had my meniscus sutured the Doc said I had the knees of an average late 40s early 50s ossan and Im not even 30 yet eek.gif \:\( \:\(

Usually i would have to wait a while to get in (up to a year or so during busy periods). The doctor i'm seeing has a very good reputation (he used to do sports surgery for the toronto professional teams) and is pretty popular. I saw him last october and told him i was interested in surgery this spring, but he told me to come back to see him after the season.

I came back (and waited a month for an appointment), and gave the sob story about how i am going to japan by september and would like to get it done here. The secretary was very helpful and got me in. But under normal circumstances, it would have been at least half a year

Glad you were able to get that expidited Oyuki. I wish there was some kind of compromise between US/Canadian health care systems. On one hand, it's nearly free but takes forever to get taken care of while on the other hand you can get seen relatively quickly but pay a butt-load of money (my Aetna insurance sucks!).

Here's basically what I did all day:

knee.jpg

South Park is soooo funny on Vicodin! \:D That episode in the photo is the famous Chikopokomon (sp?) episode! So small........ \:\)

Quote:
Originally posted by -20.7:
Nice pjs (?) you have there.
That's a bandage covering my entire leg. I finally get to take the dang thing off here in a bit and can put a smaller one on. It's been driving me batty.....

Shall I post a picture of the mess under the bandage? ;\) It's probably not that bad.

Yamakashi - that would be that episode! \:\)

Bigger holes than I thought. Looks like they had to slice under my knee cap to get to the patella.

I hope these don't gross anyone out too bad. If so, let me know and I'll take them down.

The Orange is just iodine they put all over your leg for surgery. Disinfection? I'm actually uncertain why they do this.

Knee_closeup_after_bandage_off_2.jpg

They made me initial the knee I was getting surgery on. My initials (NA) have messed up some paperwork before. I had to remind the doc that it did not mean not-applicable......

Knee_closeup_after_bandage_off.jpg