Last year, there was snow 'earlier than usual'. Lots of places opened in response. As I've said on another thread, last year, if you looked on the Resort Watch page, there were many places 'partially open'. That meant that they were all open, but some lifts weren't running. This was not just big, village-owned, or famous places.

Not Niseko though, apparently.

And last year, this early snow didn't disappear until, oh, around April or May.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is really not worth arguing about. Some people are optimists, and some are pessimists. It's not going to affect the snowfall.

Personally I am an optimist and I say Hell Yeah! It is awesome that resorts are opening as early as now even if it is just limited operations.

To the pessimists - I can understand how you would not want to get your hopes up, but realistically it doesn't hurt the optimists if they do. Let us have our fun.

Soon enough we will all be riding nice puffy winter pow and all thoughts of fall snow will be a distant memory.

As said in another thread, this is no usual pre season fall. Yes, the weather may change, just as from Jan to Feb last year, but there are dec levels of snow in Hakuba, not an early sprinkling. It's been snowing for a week, and forcast for a week more. Locals are proudly displaying dated pics of october sliding within bounds, ol' hounds are chortling with delight... lamenting on the lift hands still at their summer jobs. This is not normal, it's early.

As for snow depths, I think Hakuba gets more snow than Niseko, even if not as light and fluffy.

Dont know about all the snow being gone up in Niseko but the ski resorts are open in Hiroshima!! Yup, Osorakan was sweet this past weekend!!! \:D I bet we have more snow down here than up in Nagano or Hokkaido this year! Come on, this my place is better than your place is a little bit childish, isnt it? :rolleyes:

Ahem, don't do this very often, but I think it behoves me to eat some humble pie now.

I checked some past threads, and it seems that the day I went to Nozzle last year was, um, er, around the 16th of er, December. Harrummm, and not November, cough.

Although it definitely was do-able earlier than that.

My apologies for some strong, and incorrect assertions regarding boarding in November.

HOWEVER, some people seem to have been excessively pessimistic about the snow this year.

Yuki, is there really snow in Hiroshima, or is that a joke?

This is not being pessimistic or whatever, just fact.

I spoke with ARAI resort today. See the new ARAI Now page for info on their snow conditions right now...

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/daily/shownow.php?town=ARAI%20Now%21

....but they said that they will NOT be opening earlier than planned (or not by much) even if there is lots of snow. Their planned opening is December 14th.

Other resorts we have spoken to over the last few days have said similar things. One of them being this little place not many people know about called Niseko Hirafa or something like that. (I think it's in Hokkaido).

It's fantastic is some resorts are able to open early, excellent news and hopefully a great sign for the season generally - just don't expect anywhere near like all of them to.

;\)

Some of them will, some of them won't. Some of them are, some of them aren't.

It's as simple as that, although some folks have a hard time getting the point... :rolleyes:

Poor old Niseko. Snow gonee. I often hear that about the snow in Niseko - it's unreliable. Nothing personal, just a metrafect.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...