iPhone 6 (and other smartphones)

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks. So a kishu henkan gets me that discount then... that is good. That makes a fair bit of difference...

Hahaha! You do proof reading? Please tell me it's not in English?! I don't think I've ever seen a single post from you that doesn't have at least a good chunk of it that is incomprehensible.  

Standard procedure seems to be they limit you to 128Kbps for the rest of the month once you hit your limit. Even the cheap sims do it.

For email and webpages without tons of graphics, you might not even notice.

Its just about having a limit on how much data a month your smartphone can download and what happens when you reach your limit. Tethering is one way to use lots of data, so yeah, I guess that applies too.

A 5GB data-only sim is only 1500 yen a month on Biglobe, so get one of them, whack it in an Ipad, and that's a lot of nice surfing and non-HD video viewing on the move right there for not very much money.

Went out and got the Samsung Galaxy Note Edge t'other day.

It's too smart for my liking but good fun to use. Forgot to back up my contacts on my old phone so need to work out how to transfer them over.

It's too smart for my liking but good fun to use. Forgot to back up my contacts on my old phone so need to work out how to transfer them over.

If you bring back to the shop tjey can do it for you, takes a few seconds to transfer all your contacts to your new phone.

I am surprised they did not ask you, they normally ask if you want them transfered.

Another way is to just transfer them yourself using blue tooth or infrared, which both your old and new will have.

Go into contacts, then the tools or settings menu or whatever it is called then transfer, and just follow the instructions.

My wife's Iphone 6 doesn't have her contacts in it. I backed up her Iphone 5 on a macbook but when her and her mate tried to restore the backup, it kept asking for some Icloud password which must contain a number and a wacky character.

I have no recollection of making any Icloud settings when backing the phone up. I don't know why anyone would want private info about other people on the cloud anyway. It seems like a strange thing to force onto users.

I'm pretty sure the icloud password is the same as the one for the itunes account/store. The iPhone 6 makes you sign up to iCloud as soon as you plug it into your computer. If you didn't use it before you need to make a new account. When I got my iPhone 6 it asked me to sign into iCloud, as well as change some iCloud settings, but it wasn't related to the backup I had saved on itunes.

My wife's Iphone 6 doesn't have her contacts in it. I backed up her Iphone 5 on a macbook but when her and her mate tried to restore the backup, it kept asking for some Icloud password which must contain a number and a wacky character.

I have no recollection of making any Icloud settings when backing the phone up. I don't know why anyone would want private info about other people on the cloud anyway. It seems like a strange thing to force onto users.

You can turn on/off what you want backing up on the cloud.

I'll have to have a look when I get some time on her computer and phone. The password isn't the same as the ITunes account one, and kept asking for a special character and number.

Rakuten have announced their own mobile service on the docomo network, which is 2GB and 30 minutes of calls a month for 2200 yen. They're selling a phone made by Asus, but they are just a virtual operator (mvno) on docomo's network and any docomo phone should work. Another big reseller on the docomo network is actually NTT themselves under the OCN brand, so even NTT are using docomo infrastructure to undercut docomo. More competition means lower prices and bigger players mean more exposure to ordinary mobile users, so it's all good.

Big Shinzo has come through and as of next year, phones sold in Japan should be unlocked! An Abe-tastic result!

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/10/31/uk-japan-mobilephone-simcards-idUKKBN0IK0EV20141031

fwiw, I think the reporter at Reuters may be talking out of his arse with "freeing customers from twenty-four month contracts", because that's the nature of a sales contract and is not technically related to what sim locking a phone achieves.

Apparently my provider Umobile has gone a bit potty and starts offering unlimited LTE data for 2500 a month tomorrow. Add a phone number and its 3000.

It's an amazing deal, and I suppose we'll just have to see if they have the bandwidth to support it.

The yen has been devalued?

They announced yet more loose money yesterday, so the yen's down to about 112 to the USD. 180 to the pound.

Anyone with a big car should fill it up because that will be going back up again very soon.

I've learned to never ever look at the pump readout......It's just too damned painful..

Back to the iPhone... I can't wait to get the 6+. Looking at the 240fps for slow motion is pretty nice as well as the image stabilization.

Also got the Macbook Air with 8G of ram. Final Cut Pro is pretty zippy even with some heavy renders.. woohoo..