SnowJapan Community
Sign in to follow this  
miller

Are you studying Japanese?

Interesting to know if people are studying at the moment.

Mention whether you are living in Japan or not.

And what kind of studying - books on your own? some kind of couse?

I did when I first came here but recently not really done much at all.

Life in general seems to have caught up, though it would in turn be enhance if I could talk more.

I should but I don't. My level is woefully low for how long I've been here.....I speak it everyday in work as the only gaij in school, very few other teachers speak English. I've gotten to a level where my crap Japanese can understand work related things and communicate it in an understandable jumble of Japanese :)

My wife is actually a Japanese teacher so I get mini lessons all the time (whether I want them or not :) ). For how long I've been here I don't think that my level is good enough though. I need to sit down and start cracking a textbook I think. Where I'll find the time to study is a problem though.

I should but I don't. My level is woefully low for how long I've been here.....I speak it everyday in work as the only gaij in school, very few other teachers speak English. I've gotten to a level where my crap Japanese can understand work related things and communicate it in an understandable jumble of Japanese :)

My situation is exactlty the same. I can usually get my point across but my grammar is horrible.

I've recently started studying but not sure how long the motivation will last with winter just aroud the corner.

むかしむかしあるところ SNOWDUDE は 日本語をたくさん勉強しましたけれでも今はぜんぜんしてない!

今は漢字もあまりできないので所がない! でも日本語ちゃんと話せるよ!!!

For those who can't read my crappy Japanese, I said along time ago I studied Japanese a lot, but now I no longer do so, so I can't write kanji very well anymore.

Although I am able to speak good Japanese.

Any good textbook お勧め?

"Japanese for busy people" is what I used that together with another seperate kanji workbook . I found that interesting and easy to learn from.

Lots and lots of moaning removed :)

Learn Japanese if youve got **** ALL ELSE going for you and live in japan. Itll keep you in work to retirement :)

I was well into studying when I first came here. Was needed so that's a good motivation.

I have been way too lazy of late.

:(

ippy I missed your moaning. Please repost!!!

My Japanese has become fossilized to a good extent because I haven't cracked a textbook book in years, and I don't write kanji anymore because everything is on a computer or Keitai. It sounds like many of us are in the same boat... I used to know much more back when I made a conscious effort to study, so now when I read articles in Japanese I know the meaning of the kanji but forget it's reading. The last few years I have had a group of students who like to randomly quiz my kanji ability and I quiz them on English vocabulary so that has been my motivation to at least read a little bit the last few years. Interacting with them has made me want to study more again, but I just can't be bothered to make an effort! only read a few articles in Japanese each day or so. I read for about 20-30 minutes at school. It's not much but I think it's better than nothing. That's my excuse :(

I studied hard for a number of years but that has eased off a lot now.

My 'study' now consists of talking and reading.

I get by well enough as long as I don't have to write anything. My written Japanese is a total train wreck.

did a few classes and listen to a few cds before I come over but really basic stuff

I try to learn a few more kanji each week.

Anyone taking the Japanese exam this year? It must be around now, usually early December isn't it?

Sign in to follow this  

sjf2019l.png

About SnowJapan

SnowJapan.com is the independent guide to skiing and snowboarding in Japan and has been online since 1999.

SnowJapan.com covers the whole of Japan. We are here to introduce the world to unbiased, honest and detailed information about winter sports in Japan. We publish exclusive and in-depth and daily content throughout the winter season and we add new functionality and content to the site every year.

We are not here to promote any specific destinations or resorts, or to sell our readers any kind of products or services. We are not a travel agency and we do not own any ski resorts, ski schools, accommodations or other related businesses.