• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Tokyo gets it, it will be probably rare to hear people downing it.

Was on the news tonight though...there's already a shortage of carpenters due to Tohoku rebuilding.

How would people with no home feel about it?

That's a joke.....why not somewhere else in Japan like Osaka, Hiroshima or Nagasaki? Why Tokyo again?

The amount if money wasted on bringing huge sport events like the Olympics (and the World Cup, but I like football so lets keep this on the Olympics!!) is obscene. Most Olympic facilities are huge white elephants on the cities they are built in

Most Olympic facilities are huge white elephants on the cities they are built in

Not sure about that, Tubby.

The Sydney Olympic park precinct is a well utilised venue! Sporting and cultural uses abound. The village was sold as individual units, some transported to other locations, and the rest (as I believe) used for a local housing development.

The water sports centre is a highly used facility. brings plenty of money to the western suburbs of sydney, too!

I've been to that Olympic park and there was the square root of f@@k all going on. No one around, no commerce of any kind in plain sight......just a nice modern looking area feeling kinda sad

West Ham manager Sam Allardyce has warned London's Olympic Stadium could become a "white elephant" if his side are not allowed to relocate there.

The Stratford venue has been the centre of a glorious fortnight of sport, culminating in Sunday night's spectacular closing ceremony.

But its future has long been the subject of debate, with the Hammers initially denied tenancy last October following a legal dispute involving Tottenham and Leyton Orient.

The need to preserve a home for athletics at the stadium was central to London 2012's legacy aims, but Allardyce insists the stadium and surrounding park will fall into decline without the regular use provided by Premier League football.

He told the Times: "If they keep it for athletics, the only time it will ever get a big crowd again after the Olympics is when they hold the World Championships there in five years' time.

"You only have to look around the world at some of the Olympic Stadiums that have been built. They're white elephants now. There are weeds growing there. Look at the Bird's Nest in Beijing. Look at Athens.

"The Olympic Park is a fantastic place, but it can't be left to rack and ruin. If a club with the history and fanbase and potential of West Ham don't go there, the concern would be that the park is left empty the vast majority of the time.

"I can understand some West Ham fans feeling that they don't want to leave the history and tradition of Upton Park, but it's an incredible opportunity for the club to move forward."

Not much noise about the aftermath of Olympics in Japanese media right now.

It's all about getting them.

It seems to me that places in for the Olympics become obsessed with it, as well as blinkered as to the less than positive aspects.

Must get! Must get at all costs!

Perhaps the Fukushima thing might be a point against Tokyo.

Or perhaps the tragedy and 'recovery' might be a point for it.

Most Olympic facilities are huge white elephants on the cities they are built in

Not sure about that, Tubby.

The Sydney Olympic park precinct is a well utilised venue! Sporting and cultural uses abound. The village was sold as individual units, some transported to other locations, and the rest (as I believe) used for a local housing development.

The water sports centre is a highly used facility. brings plenty of money to the western suburbs of sydney, too!

Large scale developments like this can bring revitalisation if they are managed right - they can be a very good thing. If they are managed poorly, then yes, the result can be decaying white elephants. We could do with another big event here in Perth to get some more facilities built! ;)

PB was in Kazan, Russia for the Universiade recently - wowowowowowowowowow! An entire city was constructed for the event which after the Swimming champs will become the a premier sporting university for the region. The facilities were second to none, and the contribution to the community will be HUGE.

The example above with West Ham is possibly a good example. Let West Ham use the facility rather than be all elitist about its prospective use and bring awesome into the community.

Win the right to stage the games then just use the stadiums that exits. Just use what you all ready have. Part of the deal of winning is that you are able and can prove that you will build white elephants. I think Tokyo can do this without adding any more infrastructure. Just say you will but don,t. The Olympic have not the ball to move the games. Look at Russia they are blantently discrimation Gays and the Olympic are doing nothing. So If Russia can change the rules after given the Game why not Japan?

Isn't it moot at this point with all the recent Daiichi kerfuffle? If not, it should be.

Ultimately, I think this will be the case....they won't give it Tokyo as its too close to a plant that they don't know how it'll be in the next few days, never mind in 2022.

If they have enough money to waste on the Olympics then they should not expect to put up our taxes to cover the cost of rebuilding Tohoku!!! I wonder how the people who lost their houses, family members, irreplaceable things would feel about money being spent on the Olympics!

Tokyo's Olympic bid chairman says he's sent letters to the members of the International Olympic Committee declaring the city safe despite the leakage of contaminated water from the damaged Fukushima nuclear plant.

Tsunekazu Takeda says he sent the letters late last month. Tokyo is bidding to host the 2020 Summer Olympics and Paralympics.

Global concern is spreading over revelations since last month that contaminated wastewater from storage tanks at the plant may have leaked into the sea.

In the letters, Takeda says Japan's capital is safe since radiation levels in its air and water are all normal. He also says the country's government has pledged to take full responsibility to resolve the leakage.

About 100 IOC members are to vote for the host city at a general assembly in Argentina's capital Buenos Aires on Saturday. Madrid and Istanbul are also bidding for the games.

Campaigners for Tokyo say they will appeal to the IOC about the city's safety in their final presentation.

If they have enough money to waste on the Olympics then they should not expect to put up our taxes to cover the cost of rebuilding Tohoku!!! I wonder how the people who lost their houses, family members, irreplaceable things would feel about money being spent on the Olympics!

Tokyo-ites won't be thinking about that. The businesses in Tokyo are sure the spirit of the Olympics will uplift th spirits of those who have suffered the worst in the disaster.

And I read that from NHK interviews of Tokyo business people.