Id put in the argument its really down to what snowboarders hate in a mountain: traverses, moguls on the steeps, flats, and a lack of diversity. If it gets no powder on top of all that then screw it, leave it to the skiers and go ride something more fun. :)

I can see how if I were a boarder in Hakuba, I wouldn't be choosing Happo.

Can see how many skiers don't either - too many moguls for my liking.

Lots of boarders go there, but lots of people traditionally think of Muikamachi Hakkaisan as a skiers place.

I always think of it as the place I always see telemarking dude and the other dude with the snowboard like thing + poles.

Ah yes Hakkaisan.

Though plenty of boarders seem to enjoy it.

Always wonder if the story of the top Prince dude getting it built "for himself" so he can helicopter in from Tokyo to do some morning moguls is true.

I'd take that one with a large dash of NaCl; I once saw Tsutsumi arrive at Naeba by chopper to take a few runs on a roped-off area that had been groomed to perfection.

He didn't look like much of a mogul skier.

I quite liked Kusatsu, the top bit, though we had really nice snow when we went. I was surprised at how small it really is though, sprawls out over a big area but just very long and thin really.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard it can be pretty low on snow for most of the season over there. Was the much when you went, muikabochi? (Or anyone else, how about you onehunga)

Kusatsu is a very long narrow resort, but it does have some good runs at the top, and the run from top to bottom can be quite fun, 15 - 25 minutes from top to bottom. (15 if you are good, 25 for me) The snow this season wasn't that great, but still boot deep end of Feb. Last season was better. Boarders seem to find the flat area between the top half and bottom half a pain, and this year the main run down the bottom half seemed to be gentler than last year, poles needed and boarders had problems. The runs at the top have a lot of nicely sloped snowy banks, seemed popular with the boarders to climb, I even tried it with skis. I was there twice this year, once had a good snow cover, once very icy. There aren't many places to go off piste at Kusatsu, so if you don't mind skiing/boarding groomed runs all day it is a great place, some very steep runs, but best after a dump of snow (like all places)

I loved that onsen bit in the middle of town. We were there early one winter morning and it was really quiet. Lots of steam coming up from the water. Very nice scene it was.

Though my photos were rubbish. :(