It sounds like an exciting time for both of you. It took us ages to get started.

Lap siding or shiplap usually refers to horizontal aligned overlapping planks of wood. The classic American east coast colonial look. Its quite common now for the planks to be made of a cement-like material to reduce maintainance. When they are painted, they look just like wood, especially the ones without the fake wood grain.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Plenty of flat roofs in Kutchan. It's generally so you can build closer to your boundary. If you have a roof that sheds the snow you need room for it to shed and not encroach on your neighbours land (

Though its news is not new, you do get some good stuff in the Japan Times. I hope it can keep going in years to come.   Since most Japanese old houses sell at deep discounts to when they were new, i

By the common understanding, I don't think 2 by 4 is a "frame" house. 2 by 4 are used as studs that are sandwiched by plywood which acts as bracing to make structural, i.e, load bearing walls. Remove

What are those thing made of, some kind of plastic?

Some are made from plastic, but ours are a kind of cement type thing, which can be painted over in years to come if we want to.

Yes costs money.

Dont have to do but it is for the safety for the house and a happy family almost everyone does it.

Do u have to pay for it?

What happens if you just tell them not to be silly and that you don't want it?

Supposed to last longer and doesnt warp or melt incase of a fire.

snowdude, just out of interest what's the advantage of that type over plastic? The fact that you can paint over them?

The ceremony costs 20000 yen and a bottle of sake.

The lady wants it, so that's pretty much it!

Interesting experience.

I don't know if you MUST but it seems to be something everyone does. Even heard construction workers don't want to work on some land if it hasn't had it done.

On the subject of sidings, as I said above there so much choice.

Not being a designer, it's really difficult to know what would be best.

Some of them are just awful, so easy to eliminate them.

I have told the company to work with dark grey and cream with perhaps some brown here and there after seeing a few houses with that combination that looked good.

Hopefully they will come back to me with some nice looking ideas.

Apparently the computer comes back with a mockup of the house.

Sounds like fun.

I can imagine it's a headache trying to decide though with so many. And with very few houses being the same, makes it more difficult.

snowdude, is yours an original design you came up with or a template kind of house, you might have mentioned way back sorry!