• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Plenty of flat roofs in Kutchan. It's generally so you can build closer to your boundary. If you have a roof that sheds the snow you need room for it to shed and not encroach on your neighbours land (

Though its news is not new, you do get some good stuff in the Japan Times. I hope it can keep going in years to come.   Since most Japanese old houses sell at deep discounts to when they were new, i

By the common understanding, I don't think 2 by 4 is a "frame" house. 2 by 4 are used as studs that are sandwiched by plywood which acts as bracing to make structural, i.e, load bearing walls. Remove

Thanks.

And oh yes thanks for the response on the windows thing.

I have been really checking out loads of houses in the last few months. Most of them, even new ones, are just so character-less like boxes. I don't just want a box. Windows just holes with a bit of glass just doesn't seem right to me. Still trying to find some attractive options.

Congrats! Did you have to write your name and address in your own hand at least five times? As if a Japanese person writing your address was a no-no.

I have been really checking out loads of houses in the last few months. Most of them, even new ones, are just so character-less like boxes. I don't just want a box. Windows just holes with a bit of glass just doesn't seem right to me. Still trying to find some attractive options.

I smell some upgrades coming!

:)

My strategy is to try and include all the "upgrades" that we know we want up front before the main mitsumori.

I know they'll be trying to squash down that price, or at least I might be able to squash it down a bit after some pressure.

Might be more difficult to do that if I keep on adding and adding later.

I don't know if that's a good strategy, sounds decent to me.

Yeah thats what we did include all the upgrades first before the mitsumori, then you know it is only going to go down rather than up!

:)

My strategy is to try and include all the "upgrades" that we know we want up front before the main mitsumori.

I know they'll be trying to squash down that price, or at least I might be able to squash it down a bit after some pressure.

Might be more difficult to do that if I keep on adding and adding later.

I don't know if that's a good strategy, sounds decent to me.

I think there's definitely going to be some "add-ons" from now, but I think we packed in as many of the main "upgrades" that we know we want.

Will be interesting to see how much movement they are willing to take on their official costing when we get it. They have already put a lot of effort in with us, so surely they want our business and will be flexibile - to a certain extent. Not going to offend them with some ridiculous request, will think it through.

Going together with our builder to do the jiban chosha (soil strength test) tomorrow.Apparently I will be able to participate in it not just stand there like a spare part watching so should be interesting as I have never done it before obviously.

Ah the jiban chosa.

What's involved in that snowdude? I have been told that they need to do that before any building starts --- and depending on the results, they may need to "dig deeper" or something.

We had one done but we were told that 70% of people in Nagano don't bother with it to save money. Our house has a big footprint, but the test only cost 50,000 yen.

Its just a test to see how solid the ground is below your house to see if any reinforcement is needed.

Building on infilled farmland or some slope that's been terraced (i.e., many if not most newbuild sites) without testing it first strikes me as very foolish.

Interesting.

The test is included in the price with the company we are using. They say that they would not build a house before doing it.

If they need to go further, there may be a cost needed to add for further reinforcements.

But our piece of land used to have a building on it so I'm hopeful it will be all good.

I'm all for it though, peace of mind perhaps.

Yes same here are company will not build on it until they have tested the strength.

Basically they test 5 points one in the middle of where the house will be built and 4 corners.

They use a cork screw type machine which drives a weight into the ground if it is difficult to go in then the ground is fine if it goes in easily then reinforement will be required.

Our land should be ok because it was made several years ago for the purpose of building houses and ours is the last to be built.

Will let you know tomorrow how it went.

I would've thought that whoever was selling the plot of land would have already done this. Selling the land without knowing whether its good for building on seems a bit weird to me

I would've thought that whoever was selling the plot of land would have already done this. Selling the land without knowing whether its good for building on seems a bit weird to me

Now there you go, being all logical and so on! Why'd you ever expect that? :omg:

I have been told and show papers that show that building can be done on our land, of course.

My understanding is that this is to determine how far down the foundations need to be.

We have the same papers, but it does not mean that the land is ok to use without anything being done to it!

Did thge Jiban Chosa this morning took about 2.5 hrs!

The result was rather surprising actually!

Between 1-2 metres the soil was softer than expected by myself, the builder and the person carrying out the checks.

It is perfectly ok to build on it, but may need to use a different foundation building method so I was told.

Especially as the foundations in that area needs to be at least 1 metre deep due to the cold!

Got to wait until this Saturday when we see him again to get the exact results and which type of foundation will suit the land best!

It was interesting to do and see how it is done and being able to see the results / figures there and then.

I have included a pic of the machine they use to check the soil.

As the rod goes further into the ground they screw another onto the top and keep going until they reach either 5 metres or as far as they can go. In our case they managed to go down 5 metres which apparently is best as they can get a full picture of the soil condition down to that depth.

This is the little beast that they use to check the soil!

med_gallery_8995_289_3813050.jpg