If someone wanted to build in the area behind the place we are going for, they would need to make a new access road.

If find that encouraging.

I suppose it's a risk almost everywhere.

Was just thinking about that over the weekend, the people next door to where we are might not be too chuffed that a house will be built there, though we won't really be blocking any of their views as we are next to rather than in front of.

Hopefully they won't be too shocked when one of the humans next door is a gaijin too!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Plenty of flat roofs in Kutchan. It's generally so you can build closer to your boundary. If you have a roof that sheds the snow you need room for it to shed and not encroach on your neighbours land (

Though its news is not new, you do get some good stuff in the Japan Times. I hope it can keep going in years to come.   Since most Japanese old houses sell at deep discounts to when they were new, i

By the common understanding, I don't think 2 by 4 is a "frame" house. 2 by 4 are used as studs that are sandwiched by plywood which acts as bracing to make structural, i.e, load bearing walls. Remove

One thing that hasn't been mentioned for things to consider are neighbors. A good friend of mine is completely losing his mind over a situation he's found himself in. He bought a house on the side of a smallish mountain 4 years ago with very nice views of Suruga bay and the surrounding town. At the time, he was assured by the builders that no one would be able to build a house that would block his view or box him in against the mountain because zoning laws don't allow for structures over three stories in that area. What the builders didn't tell him was that it was possible for the neighbor to build the land up and then build a house on top of that. So now he's watching a massive house going in right next to him that will block his view completely and also box in his house. To top it off, the builder who assured him that that couldn't happen is the one building the house.

My mate in Tokyo bought a house down a road too narrow to get a car in, but with a set back ordinance that meant anyone rebuilding would have to move their houses back, widening the road specifically to allow cars. He had it all on official documents and his own house is built narrower than the land in accordance with the set back. Two years later, the neighbour at the entrance to his road died, the land was sold, and a house that completely ignores the set back was built, blocking the road as before. He went to the council to complain as soon as he saw the foundations, but they said they would do nothing about it. The only option for him was to sue in the civilian courts. Since the other neighbours with old houses don't want the setback, he was faced with sucking it up or pissing off all of his neighbours with older houses who'd want to ignore the setback too.

There may be lots of rules in Japan, but don't expect everyone to follow them and be punished if they do. A lot of what people say about "wa" (harmony) is bollocks.

Following the specific case of BM's mate, I've seen things on tv about a blocks of flats built down steep hillsides that get through planning permission by being two storeys high at the entrance at top of the hill when they are in fact eight storeys high at the bottom.

Seems to be some suspect stuff goes on.

We asked that we could buy that land as quickly as possible.

Just heard that as everyone at the real estate company is "extremely busy" and the owner of the land is also "very busy", this land contract can only be signed two weeks today at the earliest.

As in, not this week and not next week.

WTF.

Hayai desu ne.

:doh:

Yeah, with the greatest respect it's hard to imagine some mad rush of people moving to Gunma that would have the real estate people there flat out.

More like

09:00 to 10:00 Suck air through teeth

10:00 to 11:00 Drink tea and eat manju

11:00 to 12:00 Complete description of new listing "Near station - faces south!". Resize all five images to under 400 pixels.

12:00 Lunch

:lol:

Sounds about right knowing how 'busy' some of the people in my office are.

They work lots of unpaid 'overtime', so they must be busy! Even if during that overtime, they can be found watching tv or sitting around talking.

We have a unused rice paddy in front of our house. My nightmare is for someone to build on there and block our view of the mountains.

OK we are stuck with a week on Monday. Seems owner of land needs that time to gather some paperwork, he had a loan on it or something.

Doesn't really affect plans, just seems long.

Sounds like there's some kind of "ceremony" involved perhaps the TV cameras will be there while the contract is signed. Nothing as simple as signing a piece of paper! :lol:

I posted this in the hows the weather thread but I suppose it should be in here.

Back to balconies. How many cm are balconies you might have, width not length?

And, is that big enough or would you like an extra bit of space?

Mines is about 75cms wide I guess....it doesn't sound much but actually it's quite roomy. It's also pretty long, it runs the length of living room and bedroom

Just been out to measure mine (sad but true) and the walking space is about 4m x 1.6m. Am looking forward to having some summer bbq action! :cheers:

Dunno what size the balcony is on our house, standard size I guess!

But one thing for sure we are not getting a balcony built onto our new house, as we never use the one on this house now.

We will have tons of space in our back garden so no real need.

I guess balconies are handy for those living somewhere with not much outside space then would be uesful.

We have a unused rice paddy in front of our house. My nightmare is for someone to build on there and block our view of the mountains.

That is why we have chosen the plot that we did.

Our plot is in a newly developed village about 20-30 houses in total surrounded by nothing except mountains and fields and we got the last one, so no chance of anything being built directly in front or behind us to spoil our view of Minami Alps and Yatsugatake mountains, which we can see from where our house will be.

It is basically like a mini housing estate, so of course there are houses around us, but spaced out enough so we can see the mountains and have plenty of space around our house and a big garden space!

Even if new houses where to be built they would have to be away from where we are so would not affect us in any way.

It is very difficult though finding a place where something new can't be built directly in front or behind you, unless you live miles away from anyone and anything!