PC getting to be unusable

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ah so most normal people using a computer then, I see.

Our savior....!!

Where did I say Pc was user friendly?

Fact is that some small part of my income is derived from the fact that they are NOT!

My point was that the closed unit does not allow the user to customise the hardware, as was possible with the // series Apple, and still with PCs.

:kiss:

Considering I have a clean zero interest in 'customising hardware' once I have bought what I want, what you say even if true doesn't make the slightest difference to me.

I'm guess that applies to pretty much most people as well.

Yes I'm aware that you make money from PCs being a complete messy and inconsistent pile of poo.

So obviously you're not wanting too many people to discover the refreshingly hassle-free Apple computers, otherwise you'd be out of income.

cal,

My mum (who's 89) has just transitioned from the slooow PC she'd had for a few years to an iPad. and loving it!

Mind you, the pad was set up for her by her nerdy grandson! And, to her credit, she learned to use the email on the PC when she was 85, after my old man lost sight of both eyes!

No doubt you mean a computer not an ipad, cal.

After living with Windows for many years, there's some things that are odd at first.

But it's fairly easy to adjust.

Don't bother yourself with virus stuff, defrag and all sorts of nonsense popups and messages that mean nothing to anyone.

As I said before a pleasure to use.

And if you need windows because of some software, install Parallels and Windows and you're sorted there too.

It took me way to long to change but I sure glad I did not. I'm almost completely weaned off the crappy old notebook I was using now.

I don't particular care differences between systems as long as they both work good.

Thing is, one is much more friendly than the other.

Depends on what you want to do with that machine really, doesn't it?

Yes, and to some extent, what work obliges you to use.

When teaching, I was obliged to use PC, so all my home preparation was PC based. Got home use of the corporate software, so a Windows based PC is a no-brainer - else I'd have to buy all my own softwares!

As to iPad not being a computer, what is it, then? It ain't a phone, it ain't a GPS, it is a computer, somewhat dedicated and with limitations (as do all pad/pod devices) but a computer nonetheless. It's a tablet/touchscreen computing device.

Run a hoover over the fan ports to suck out the dust, I do not recommend takin g it apart unless you know what you are doing.

It is only 3 years old so it should still work fine.

If you HDD is more than 60% full that will slow it down a lot.

Try these tips to get it running faster again:

1. If you have too many files on your HDD back them up to an external drive.

2. Run disc defragment

3. If you got norton use the utility tool to run the start menu option and see what is running on start up. You can delay or even stop thin gs from running at start-up which will speed up your computer.

Things like adobe / program updaters slow the computer up.

Also stop non essential things from running such i-tunes helper.

If something doesn' run properly after just simply enable it and it will be fine.

DONT stop any microsoft applications or the manufacturers computer files from running if you are on a windows computer, unless you know what you are doing otherwise you could stop a main process!!!!!!

4. Run registry clean up in Norton, as that is most likely to have a lot of broken or corrupt registry entries after 3 years.

You may need to run each of those things twice to get better results and do a boot up after each time.

Let me know if that helps, if not you could download PC pistops software which will also clean and repair a lot of problems, but of course it is not free.

I have used this when all other things have failed and it really sorted a lot out.

I have got a new iMac and using it now for all my photos.

I must say I am really enjoying the experience of using it. I can't say I have ever felt like this on a pc computer, even when they have been new.

Difficult to explain. But I'm very happy with it.

As to iPad not being a computer, what is it, then? It ain't a phone, it ain't a GPS, it is a computer, somewhat dedicated and with limitations (as do all pad/pod devices) but a computer nonetheless. It's a tablet/touchscreen computing device.

No doubt you know exactly what I meant.

Like all threads on all sites once someone mentions their PC/laptop isn't working properly someone will come along and say you should get a MAC or put Linux on it. None of these recommendations, no matter how well meant address the original question. ie should a three year old laptop be replaced.

1, if you follow the advice given by JA, Snowdude and myself there should be no resaon why you should have to replace your laptop. If you want to spend the money a new laptop, either Windows or Mac would be nice, but not really necessary.

Like all threads on all sites once someone mentions their PC/laptop isn't working properly someone will come along and say you should get a MAC.

Funny that I used to wonder that.

But now I know that it's just a really, really good idea.

:thumbsup:

WTF is Linux?

Wasn't he in Peanuts or something.

(*f stands for flip)

Sorry pie-eater, not sure if you are trolling or being serious. If you are serious try looking up linux on wikipedia

OK I just had a quick look on this thing called the interwebs, and read a bit about Linux.

But in my brief overview I couldn't get out of it - why would I want to use that?

Most people use it for two main reasons, it's free, and it's not Microsoft.

OK I just had a quick look on this thing called the interwebs, and read a bit about Linux.

But in my brief overview I couldn't get out of it - why would I want to use that?

If you are using a Mac, then you are using Unix as that's what OS/X is based upon, which is also what Linux is based on.

It's great for programming stuff on, and also for simplicity, but you need to know a bit about computers to get the most out of it.

I chose a windows because it does what I want it to do, and I can play the games I want to play.

Back on topic, to the OP - give your a laptop a good clean, i.e. fans, defrag the HDD, virus check, and you should be ok for a couple of years.

Most people use it for two main reasons, it's free, and it's not Microsoft.

Don't almost all computers come with the OS?

The mainstream masses won't be interested, it's for people who like to tinker, no?