PC getting to be unusable

Most computers do come with an OS, but it is possible to buy one without, or to build your own.

Linux could be considered an OS for people who like to tinker, but if you know someone who knows Linux and can set up your PC with Linux it will do most things a Windows or Mac will do, just not so good with games.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ah so most normal people using a computer then, I see.

Our savior....!!

But seriously, who other than tinkerers would want that?

Those who want home media centers? It's free? There are GUIs that can provide the same experience as Windows/OSx. A variety of reasons.

A large number of web servers, email servers, routers and 90% of the worlds fastest supercomputers all use Linux. All the rendering for the LOTR and Hobbit were done on a super computer running Linux. It is also used in a lot of embeded devices. If your mobile phone has Andriod you are using a version of Linux.

A large number of web servers, email servers, routers and 90% of the worlds fastest supercomputers all use Linux. All the rendering for the LOTR and Hobbit were done on a super computer running Linux.

Ah so most normal people using a computer then, I see.

• Like 1

I use Linux because I grew up on Unix, so it is intuitive to me. I also use Windows and MacOS, but don't find them as comfortable.

(Oddly, I find the Mac interface is the most difficult to use, despite its Unix underpinnings.)

De gustibus.

Linux, like Android is open source so potentially a massive waste ground of confusion. Good luck.

Not if you get a reputable O/S, such as CentOS or Red Hat.

Cool. I'll ask for that in Yamada Denki this morning.

:thumbsup:

Linux, like Android is open source so potentially a massive waste ground of confusion. Good luck.

Not if you get a reputable O/S, such as CentOS or Red Hat.

Cool. I'll ask for that in Yamada Denki this morning.

:thumbsup:

People actually still go to Yamada Denki?! :lol:

That's funny.