Its almost finished and Im stoked on how it come up for my first shot at board building.

This crazy idea was born after coming home from japan with my DIY swallowtail supermodel, the swallowtail worked so well but the nose needed to be longer and a more gradual up turn.

So I went to work designing my dream board, I gave it rocker between the bindings and camber outside just like a NS or BTX board and of course the big rocker nose and swallowtail. The length is 180.

I built a press, molds and everything else I needed to build this board and finally, its almost done. It just needs a few more coats of spar varnish on the veneer top sheet and to expose the inserts.

Here are a few pics.

20121211_171900.jpg

20121211_171729.jpg

20121211_171649.jpg

20121211_171814.jpg

20121211_161036.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Its almost finished and Im stoked on how it come up for my first shot at board building. This crazy idea was born after coming home from japan with my DIY swallowtail supermodel, the swallowtail work

It looks like you could use the back part as an bottle opener for an enormous bottle of beer, if you should find one that big!  

Awesome job mate, looks SICK! Can always hang it on the wall if it rides like a pig (not that it will by the looks)   How does the flex feel just playing around with it? Bit more play than your oth

It's hard to judge what the nose rocker looks like. For me, that is the most important part of a powder board. I'm a huge fan of the wood finish, btw. I have a Bear longboard (surf) that looks similar to that.

Very classy indeed!

It's hard to judge what the nose rocker looks like. For me, that is the most important part of a powder board.

The nose length is 340mm and it rises 100mm over a distance of around 400mm. The nose rocker starts at the point where the nose becomes wider than the tail.

Pic below

20121211_182626.jpg

Very nice...!! Lacewood and........Bubinga? Indian Rosewood?.....? Love to see the press and molds.

The dark stuff Im not sure on but it has been blackened in a kiln. The orange strip is silky oak, the grain on the silky oak is like 3D.

Pic of press and molds below

20121210_163846.jpg

And pic of the veneers I made, the others have more silky oak than this one.

20121104_221628.jpg

you ****ing rule there chief! Were you to ever retail yoru boards, whats the cost for you to build more if this one works out?

If I talk about materials in the board alone this one probably owes me $300. Everything was bought in small quantities and I used some experimental methods. If you factor in the cost of setting up it would be much more. And then there is labour!

I only did this because I couldnt buy a board that was everything I wanted so its a personal challenge that I took on. The cost is irrelevant in that regard, this board is priceless to me :happyshades:

I have enough materials for another 4 boards which I am going to make subtle changes to in regards to core thickness and one will be a split. The plan is to test them out in hokkaido, anyone who wants to have a ride is more than welcome if they find me.

yeah, im assuming your first few arent going to deliver entirely. But im thinking if youve spent all that time setting it up, outlaying the costs and ****ing about creating presses, once youve had a wee bit of practice you might be looking to actually start building them for reals.

. But im thinking if youve spent all that time setting it up, outlaying the costs and ****ing about creating presses, once youve had a wee bit of practice you might be looking to actually start building them for reals.

If that happens then yeah it would be great but I am under no disallusions of what a busted ass market snowboard manufacture is lol. Its a tough gig.

Very nice...!! Lacewood and........Bubinga? Indian Rosewood?.....? Love to see the press and molds.

The dark stuff Im not sure on but it has been blackened in a kiln. The orange strip is silky oak, the grain on the silky oak is like 3D.

Pic of press and molds below

20121210_163846.jpg

And pic of the veneers I made, the others have more silky oak than this one.

20121104_221628.jpg

Very cool.....Nice press!! Silky Oak is called Lacewood in North America and yes it has great chatoyance. Looks like you have some mahogany and rosewood strips in there....

The red looking stuff is kalantis, white/grainy is silky oak an the black is unknown. They were all pieces I got from a joinery shop and were around 50mmx12mm offcuts from a band saw. I laminated them together and then planed/sanded them down to 1.4mm.

20121211_171729.jpg

Awesome job mate, looks SICK! Can always hang it on the wall if it rides like a pig (not that it will by the looks)

How does the flex feel just playing around with it? Bit more play than your other boards?

:clap:

• Like 1

I cant flex it yet as the epoxy doesnt reach its full cure strength for 4 days. I just weighed it and its 3.5kg, Im thinking the core may be too thin and a bit of a noodle but theres only one way to find out, I will make the rest progressively thicker and see which one i like best.

I just revealed the inserts

20121212_182317.jpg

20121212_182342.jpg