The sheep thread started me thinking ... dangerous, I know :omg: ... about a "bucket list" of places I'd want to ski before giving the bucket a right kicking!

Went something like this ...

Hakuba (cannot believe we've neglected that!)

Shiga Kogen

Goruya

Yuzawa, Naeba, Kagura etc

Alts/Bandai

Whistler/Steamboat

others on the North American continent

Zermatt etc in Europe

Chile/Argentina

OK at one a year, that's got me up to around 75 or 80 yrs - if I'm still going then, I'll consider return visits to a few

Anyone else got a list they'd care to share?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

PB and baby Bearcub are in Russia at the moment (Ufa), BoredRider I was expecting ugly, because that's what my Russian mate told me to expect, but I think it is actually charming!!   Caveat: I'm o

The bucket list and ticking things off has been hotly discussed in our home over the last few years, none the least in relation to buying a ski property and would we then want to be 'tied' to one place. We decided that owning a place was no reason not to go see/explore others, but would act as a convenient base or 'quick break' location.

Items added to and subtracted from the list regularly, but currently on Mr and Mrs Bears list.

Japan - Shiga Kogen, Myoko Kogen (PB ticking this off in Feb), and of course Mt Granview ;)

New Zealand - don't care where, but want to finally get to the land of the long white cloud.

Canada - the obligatory Whistler, and Sun Peaks

USA - Breckenridge

Europe - St Anton is the only name currently on the list, but there are so many resorts we would like to hop to.

Any opportunity to add another resort to the 'been there done that' list!! :lol:

I think for me its the much more humble "get involved with a group that hikes for their turns".

Im feeling like ive hit the end of my interest in resorts. I know ive probably got a few more seasons of life left in them, but last season i could barely stay on the groomers. Im not the best rider, im clumsy as hell and have zero balance (actually pointed out by a mate, so annoyingly not just self deprecation), but ive hit the limits of interesting on piste. Slack country is great, but not only is it way busy, its also MAD dangerous. I know you might be thinking "what you talking about ipps? Backcountry is way more dangerous!" but for me an organized group following a planned line and coordinating together beats riding on your own, ducking a rope and uttering the immortal words "i wonder if this goes somewhere fun?"

I chance a lot of lines. Touch wood ive not got in too much trouble yet, but im rolling the dice every time and to be honest im not a great fan of pointless risk taking.

So yeah, ill give it a couple more seasons, but by then its hiking or bust. :)

I think for me its the much more humble "get involved with a group that hikes for their turns".

Im feeling like ive hit the end of my interest in resorts.

That's fine for someone who has slid for a while. (and lived in Japan for a while)

I FIRST clicked into skis at age 49. Since then have ticked off Thredbo, Perisher Blue, Falls Creek, in Aus and My Hutt and Remarkables in UnZud (= New Zealand for you linguistically challenged) as well as a few Japow resorts. Age has wearied me and my body is not into back/slack country - just me, I guess - still getting thrills enough on the groomers and nearby.

Kicking horse. Pun may or may not be intended.

Kicking horse does look like an awesome place with heaps of steep lines, would like to give it a go sometime too. Love their tagline "have you been kicked by the horse?"

Im feeling like ive hit the end of my interest in resorts.

That's fine for someone who has slid for a while. (and lived in Japan for a while)

I FIRST clicked into skis at age 49. Since then have ticked off Thredbo, Perisher Blue, Falls Creek, in Aus and My Hutt and Remarkables in UnZud (= New Zealand for you linguistically challenged) as well as a few Japow resorts. Age has wearied me and my body is not into back/slack country - just me, I guess - still getting thrills enough on the groomers and nearby.

You hit on the exact reason why its soon or not at all. I constantly regret that i didnt take snowboarding until my early 30s. Park, much as id love to be a nutjob and play with those cats in the pipe, just feels beyond my body's threshold now. As i get older im not exactly recovering faster, nor am i getting that much fitter despite hitting the gym on average 3 times a week for the past 8 or so years. So it needs to be soonish otherwise its just not gonna happen. Plus, once im back in teh UK i cant see another return for a good ten or so years. And that locks me out of ski communities pretty much (aside a budget flight to the alps for a weeks vacation every now and again).

Oh to be Kyle miller and just ****ing around on mountains just because one day you decided you might as well :) The dude is rather inspiring in truth. He didnt have any sponsorship (he does now though) and just decided to drop out and tour.

Stormphoto.jpg

Why Alts/Bandai, JA? Just curious.

Why not?? Have heard a few comments about the place and would be interested to have a go ... Might also add Mt Granview - but would have to find it in the first place, and decide whether it is flat enough for me ;)

Why Alts/Bandai, JA? Just curious.

Why not?? Have heard a few comments about the place and would be interested to have a go ... Might also add Mt Granview - but would have to find it in the first place, and decide whether it is flat enough for me ;)

Thats weird

I was surfing with a Japanese guy in Bali this week and he said it was really good as well.

He does go to Hokkaido every year now though.

Seemore

Ippy wants to hike....I want a heli drop at least once before I kick it. It doesn't seem like a tall order but I never seem to get around to it.

Other than that I'd like to hit the interior and rockies back home. Growing up on the west coast Whistler (prefer Blackcomb) is always a good time but never really went inland much.