Ippy wants to hike....I want a heli drop at least once before I kick it. It doesn't seem like a tall order but I never seem to get around to it. .
It's on this old bears list also.

PB, me, our ol' kiwi skier mate, and his soon to be bride who I think we have just got up to standard - if she goes and gets up the duff, then all bets are off and PB and I will hit that by ourselves.

The sticking point is where.

Anyone have any good suggestions?

He wants NZ, but I am not keen keen on their slide record - too much layer variation for my liking.

I am more keen for Canadia, eh.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

PB and baby Bearcub are in Russia at the moment (Ufa), BoredRider I was expecting ugly, because that's what my Russian mate told me to expect, but I think it is actually charming!!   Caveat: I'm o

Tomamu, you could day trip it from your new pad lol
Goz, I think you just leapfrogged over some old timers to be my favourite SJer today :D

:D they do cat tours also :D

Another thing on that ever growing list...

AND have the advantage of Hokkaido flakes that are less of a slide issue.

I might like a bit of adrenalin rush, but I am a Mum after all.... I do want to come home ;)

Stuff the day trip - ever since ol' Thursday did an SJ TR from Tomamu I have been interested in going there if the opportunity came up. It seems like the most spar spangled glitzy bling bling excess of a resort in existence. Prolly a bit OTT for me (not really girly girl), but it's gotta be seen once in a lifetime. :lol:

I would like to get to some places and ski and take photos in Switzerland.

Still lots of places I would like to go in Japan including northern Tohoku and perhaps Hokkaido.

To whet your appetite Muika...

I took this one with a battered old point and shoot just pulling up on the side of a piste.

Grindlewald (Grindlewald First), Switzerland, January 2012

538770_3470144526115_136318542_n.jpg

Imagine what you could do with your speccy equipment, artists eye and some more planning!!!

Did you go to Alts before March 3rd 2011.

Alts is a shadow of it's former self since then.

Do you think it has really become that bad since then? Most of it is still operational, including the back bowls. Seems like mostly just the superpipe area, the left-hand third, has shut down. (I see they have cropped it from their new trail map this season.)

That said, I would put Zao before Alts myself.

Nice post for a rainy day! :thumbsup: Restricting this to new places rather than ones that I'd like to go back to, and in no particular order, and for various reasons....

Japan:- The Big G, Hakkoda, Kiroro and some Fukushima resorts;

The US:- Jackson Hole, Breckenridge; Mt Baker, Lake Tahoe;

Canada:- Baldface, Fernie, Kicking Horse, Jasper;

Europe:- Lech (Austria);

Other:- Gulmarg (Indian Kashmir) and Iran

What's the deal with the "crop circle" there?
I could find no one with a decent explanation about that, but a google-fu found the guy in the following article who makes really pretty crop circles in France - so I would say someone tramped around in snowshoes for a bit of fun. It was the LAST thing I was expecting as I came flying around the corner I can tell you!
  • SnowJapan Admin

Took out your daily mail link Mamabear, hope you don't mind.

That's one place we certainly don't want to give juice to!

!

[Actually some personal reasons involved too that I ant really get into]

• SnowJapan Admin

One time, a member of my family was involved in a legal case with a poisonous publication.

I certainly do not feel the desire to help promote that said publication, however insignificant it may be.

Alternative link far more desirable.

Sorry for bringing a personal thing into it, I got permission. ;)

I'm lucky to live within sight of the mightily Mt Granview.

But, I would like to get to Switzerland one winter too, though seems unlikely in the near future!

:lol: There's a LOT wrong with the Daily Mail :lol:

Silly me just safe searched googled and inserted the first link to an article on the dude. Didn't even look where it was originating from.

I would like the one day find a bit of virgin untouched flat snow that no one has bothered to mess with because they'd just get stuck, and stomp down a little crop circle of my own. Fancy leaving behind a little WTF moment for all the people who zoom past until the next snowfall :D

Do you think it has really become that bad since then? Most of it is still operational, including the back bowls. Seems like mostly just the superpipe area, the left-hand third, has shut down. (I see they have cropped it from their new trail map this season.)

Yeah I do actually.

Or more, I felt they were continually cutting back before March 11th and that event was a convenient way to easily explain more cut backs.

Is there a need to close a third off this season? Is there a shortage of electicity? Not many other resorts are doing that this year are they?

'The left hand third', well it's a third isn't it. 33% or whatever. That's not inconsiderable.

I just think they have been struggling big time and are shrinking away into a shrunken thing that doesn't seem that appealing. Difficult cycle to break loose from of course.

Maybe I'm being harsh, I don't know.

Might just put Alts down the list, then - although a superpipe is not something that rocks my boat at all!
You'd have fun anywhere JA.

A bit further down the list and maybe not so many days, rather a day trip or single day/night budgeted for it. Laughing. :D

I would like to get to some places and ski and take photos in Switzerland.

Still lots of places I would like to go in Japan including northern Tohoku and perhaps Hokkaido.

To whet your appetite Muika...

I took this one with a battered old point and shoot just pulling up on the side of a piste.

Grindlewald (Grindlewald First), Switzerland, January 2012

538770_3470144526115_136318542_n.jpg

Imagine what you could do with your speccy equipment, artists eye and some more planning!!!

Oh yes I would love it I'm sure.

Why can't they have a season the wrong way round like you lot down there? ;)