The ski resort in Japan where you experienced the best snow?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Akakura kanko and Seki Onsen in Feb this year. We arrived at midnight on the second day of a 3 day front that dropped over 4 metres and caused chaos for the locals. Straight to Seki the next morning

• 2 weeks later...

Had some really good times at Niseko, Furano, Nozawa, Myoko Kogen,

best for us was possibly Myoko in 2011, 7m snowfall before the middle of January! Not bad!

Back there for Jan 2013 - bring on the super dumps!

Blackcomb (Whistler) Seventh Heaven....my old stomping grounds is right up there at the top.

So many amazing days in Japan though. Those really cold days at Kamui Links are something special and define "powder snow". I had one stellar morning at Happo-one last year. The mountain was closed all day Saturday due to blizzard conditions but the next morning ...at Skyline.....was......................words can't describe. :thumbsup:

Yeah, have to get back to 7th one of these seasons. Chris, any experience at Mt Washington? I've been looking at that as a possible destination for a couple of seasons, but not enough info to pull the trigger on a trip.

Washington is hit or miss. It can be really epic as in having way too much snow or there are seasons where it never really gets going. Lately they've been having quite consistently good seasons. But when it snows....it dumps bigtime, huge amounts of snow!! It's a nice hill with some nice places to stay. We used to bring all our food and stay in the condos with kitchenettes. That's the best way to go I think. You can take a bus or shuttle down to town (Courtenay) and load up on groceries and there is rarely snow at sea level so it's easy to get around.

It's about four hours from Victoria so it's quite a drive but there are also plenty of package tours and daily departures and returns during the season.

Terrain is pretty impressive with a lot chutes and bowls in the back but beginners can access most of the mountain and ski from top to bottom.

+1 for seventh heaven - was there in 04, 06 & 08

My other fave spot on Blackcomb is Crystal Ridge - it's like it's own seperate mini mountain with some sweet lines through the trees and no crowds.

The mega -crepes at Crystal Hut help also :yummy:

med_gallery_10039_80_72906.jpg

The first time I skied on real powder was Ichirino Onsen in Ishikawa ken. I was hooked for life from then on.

But the all-time best was sometime around the 13th Jan 2011 in Myoko. For about 3 days straight it didn't stop snowing the lightest, fluffiest, downiest (is that even a word?) snow I've had the pleasure of being on (and occasionally - under).

• 2 weeks later...