Dunno if everyone knows but from now they are abolished. I wasted my afternoon off by going down to immigration just to be told I don't need one. When your current visa gets renewed you'll have to change your Gaij card for the new, not-the-same-as-the-old Gaij card, but your visa will be valid so long as your exit and re-entry dates are within a year of each other

From what I remember, you should have received a letter in the post outlining these changes.

There is nothing to do, until you have to renew your gaijin card or visa, and then get a new gaijin card.

I got a great big leaflet thing about a month ago - it was pretty hard to understand what was going on - but it basically said you don't need to do anything.

Isn't it great when you get a big info pack, that tells you that you don't need to do anything, when 2 sentences would do the same thing?

Yeah, the information I got in the mail was, "Things are going to change. We'll let you know what has changed once it has changed. You don't need to do anything (subject to change without notice)." They still haven't let me know what changes have changed!

I got the crap as well, when I first read it I thought maybe I have been in Japan too long and my comprehension of English had deteriated some what.But after talking to others I realised it was simply poorly written.

It nice not to need re-entry permission anymore.

I got the crap as well, when I first read it I thought maybe I have been in Japan too long and my comprehension of English had deteriated some what.But after talking to others I realised it was simply poorly written.

It nice not to need re-entry permission anymore.

I think we all had that brief flash of uncertainty.....unnerving isn't it... :lol:

Glad you mentioned this.

I had put that to one side and was starting to worry I missed out doing something.

I had this dream once of getting to the airport and realising my re-entry was up. What to do. Phew, woke up.

At least you were sleeping.... I'm going home in a few weeks and still have a vision of the Immigration dude looking at me with that ...."your F'ed" look. :shifty: And I'm NOT sleeping.. :lol:

Glad you mentioned this.

I had put that to one side and was starting to worry I missed out doing something.

I had this dream once of getting to the airport and realising my re-entry was up. What to do. Phew, woke up.

I actually did this!! I woke up the night before I left and realised I didn't have one.....I was panicking! I went to the airport ready to beg and plead for my pathetic gaijin life only to find that I could do it at the airport and what's more, they do it in 5 mins instead of the usual 30 or so at the immigration office!! They said they don't advertise the fact u can do it at the airport as they don't wanna have long queues of lazy and forgetful gaij!! :)

• 1 month later...

Off the top of my head ( ;)), the period in which your existing alien registration certificate is deemed to be equivalent to the new residence card depends on your resident status! For most people, that means getting your new card when you extend your work visa, as I've just done. For permanent residents or those with longer, namely 5 year, work visas for "designated" activities, you've got until July 2015 to get your new card. Hope that helps! :thumbsup: