What do to?

article-2160322-139ABD20000005DC-942_638x456.jpg

Squeezing into a 'cattle class' airline seat is about to get a lot easier for the overweight traveller – but at the expense of more slimline passengers.

The growing girth of flyers has prompted aircraft manufacturer Airbus to design extra-wide seats for its popular A320 jets.

But it will shrink the size of ordinary economy-class seats so that each flight can still carry the same number of people.

Rather than have rows of three seats, each 18in wide, Airbus proposes making the aisle seat 20in wide and reducing the width of the two others by an inch each.

The new configuration would also allow airlines to impose an extra charge for the premium seats, with Airbus estimating that a £6.50 fee could generate an extra £2 million for each aircraft over 15 years.

That could help offset the extra fuel cost required to carry overweight passengers.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good God, really?! Thats the best they can do?!

I have long advocated having a few rows of larger seats and bigger leg room spacing in between business and economy that are subject to sales restrictions. An economy seat, with economy meals and service, but with a higher charge attached for the extra space provided (and perhaps more factored in for extra weight). If it was ony able to be purchased more than 48 hrs before departure with a medical certificate (a hugemungus person would only need to see the doctor once for a doctors certificate to cover all travel) it would cover not only the fatties but anyone with a physical condition that requires larger space - think about the freakishly tall, and a massive Rugby Player. It would also allow someone with a broken leg, or uses a wheelchair and could use extra access to purchase the seat.

In the final 48hr period the airline could release unsold big seats for upgrade purchase to existing customers, and if not filled by boarding stewards could arbitrarily move people to make life a bit more comfortable on the flight. Maybe moving the middle guy of 3 6footers with broad shoulders to a spare seat...

It would achieve the same result - move the fatties to wider seats, but let's face it 2 inches is NOT going to fix that guys problem!!!

And there would be a number of people who are fine in an 18 inch seat that will find a 17 inch seat tight, so your problem suddenly magnifys.

And what about families?

We have 6 people in ours. We would normally sit in a 3 - 3 and put me in the middle of one triple and the youngest son in the middles of the other triple keeping all the mahousive shoulders apart. Under this idea, unless we pay extra for the aisle seat we will be place 2 by 2 INSIDE a fatty that we don't know. GREAT!

They have NOT thought this one through at all.

I have long advocated having a few rows of larger seats and bigger leg room spacing in between business and economy that are subject to sales restrictions. An economy seat, with economy meals and service, but with a higher charge attached for the extra space provided (and perhaps more factored in for extra weight).

It's called Premium Economy.:p

I have long advocated having a few rows of larger seats and bigger leg room spacing in between business and economy that are subject to sales restrictions. An economy seat, with economy meals and service, but with a higher charge attached for the extra space provided (and perhaps more factored in for extra weight).

It's called Premium Economy.:p

no it's not !!

Premium economy seats are bigger, yes, but they are not available on all flights - in fact out of Perth it is really hard to find a flight that DOES have it. AAAaaaand you are also paying for extra services, better meal service etc. If you have everything exactly the same as economy and IN the economy section but just two seats where the is normally three not only would the actual sit width of the seat be bigger than premium economy, but the price of the seat should be cheaper.

He should be with checked baggage lol!

Half of that plane isn't going to get food/beverage service. How are they going to make it around him (as long as he doesn't eat it all first)?

Imagine that for 10 hours!

:lol:

What if he has to go to the bathroom? Normal people can barely fit in there, lol! Imagine THAT!

The arm rest on the end of the aisle is fixed also (although I did see a hostess undo one one day, there was a special button) - so I wonder if the arm rest is embedded in his butt crack. OUCH!!

See a guy that size needs a huge seat, and well reinforced. The recline feature would need to be step strong to keep him from ending up on the lap of the person behind. Why can't they do this? Take the first three rows of economy out and make them into two rows of 2 x 2 seats. That is a maximum of 8 super fatties per flight, and the rest of us are spared from sharing a row with them.

DiGriz...I thought about the last 3 rows, it would mean they are closer t the bathroom...but would they fit in those bathrooms or need to use a business bathroom anyway, which would be up the front. And then there is squeezing all the way down the aisle to the back row, and they are closer to the galley so temptation will be severe. LOL First 3 / last 3 ... Much of a muchness.

Yes of course they should pay.

Regular price of economy seat x 18 = x

X divided by 8 (new number of seats in the space) = fare to be charged.

I dare say that will be more than a 50% surcharge.

I am flying on Thursday ... Starting to get palpitations about who might end up sitting next to us! ;)