Another Tsunami Vid...freaks me out.

I've seen this one before...you gotta wonder how many of these people in the cars survived.....the guy that got out and legged it is probably a cert to be dead

This vid is also weird in that the first part where the shaking is happening is in Izumi-Ku...I lived just down the street from that appartment building for my first year in Sendai. The tsunami footage part is in Miyagino-ku and I lived litterally no more than 2 minutes from there for my 2nd and 3rd years.... :shifty:

In case of emergency, don't forget to shut your door, lol (@ :58).

Scary stuff indeed. Still get freaked out when I see those videos.

Hard to imagine what was going through peoples minds living that, and some of the other scenarios that played out.

A lot of people must still be haunted by it all.

Is it just me or do you guys also spend a lot of time with these kind of scenarios constantly running around in your head? It literally keeps me up some nights. :unsure:

It is incredible to watch.

I don't understand why, because I live in a place that has never known a tsunami, but as a child I had recurring nightmares about a tsunami sweeping in. I have even had the odd one in the past 3 years in the current house we live in (which has ocean glimpses)..every time I wake I have the sense that it has been played out in my mind in preparation. Be pretty bizarre if it ever did hit Perth though!

I didn't give it a 2nd thought until march 11th last year. I've always wanted to live by the sea....living here I wanted to move closer to the sea, but last year made me question whether I truly wanted to live right next to the beach or not

Having scenarios running in your head is a good thing. But I´d rather go with the 6th sense,

All you can do is to be prepared (for the inevitable and the unknown)

Doesn´t freak me out at all.

Brave and courageous, knows no fear... that sort of thing? ;)

The videos that get me the most are those of the tsunami just rushing into towns and moving all those houses as if they were made of paper. Those images will never lose their power.

My dad can't get his tongue round the word tsunami.

For him, it is always 'two-sammy'.

One of those things that you simply can't properly prepare for, I reckon. Adrenalin and some amount of remaining common sense would hopefully get you through.

But seriously it must have been a real wtf this just can't be real kind of situation.

yeah......my first reaction to hearing that we were on a Tsunami warning in Shonan was "I'd like to go down the beach and see that"........sounds crazy now, but before March 11th last year I (and a lot of people, I'd guess) was more than a little blasé about the whole problem of tsunami. Not now. Of course we didn't get hit but I'd bet there were some silly buggers like myself who had the similar thoughts and didn't treat it with the alarm that was required

Same here Tubby. My reaction to all the tsunami warnings we've had in the past was to step out onto the balcony to watch all the hubub of the fishing boats leaving the harbour. Now, if there's a warning I'm going to be gettin outa Dodge ASAP, too.

I probably look at the jma earthquakpapago most days since Chuetsu, but not out of fear more I am now just interested in the subject.

Before Chuetsu I knew nothing and wasn't interested either.

Back to the Vid. What would you have done if it were you ?

I would have got out on the roof earlier.

Reasoning - 2 ways to die, you can drown by being trapped in the car and go under (another car might push it under) .. or crushed if you are out and fall in the water.

I´d take my chance on the roof and see if I can hop onto something bigger passing by.

But as soon as I see the rapids, oh oh .. I´ll drag out my seat belt out of the window as a hand hold.