Another Tsunami Vid...freaks me out.

I remember at the time being utterly infuriated by the coverage by the bbc.

The music in this documentary brings back those memories. Its so insensitive and sensationalist. I know its a stupid thing to get annoyed by when the content is horrific. But its like they just dont know when to step back.

The whole premis as well irritates me. Children suffering! the innocence of those pure babes. Lets drag out something traumatic and exploit it for our edutainment.

Ive made it about 15 minutes in and whilst typing this to moan about the music, ive just literally heard this line:

"Radioactive contamination didnt stop at the boundary of the exclusion zone..."

Said with an absolutely straight face. It then went on to point out that in fact the wind can in fact carry radiation beyond that boundary zone!

Honestly, there was a stunning documentary about the 2 dudes who created the fallout map that really illustrated the plight the people outside the exclusion zone were facing without resorting to bullshit vacuous statements like this. I mean maybe this one does too, but i cant watch any more of it.

Honestly, im not criticising people for finding the documentary interesting, of course the insight of those kids and is as valid as every other piece of information we can get. And sure enough, theres plenty that will be new, relevant, and informative. But its just the bullshit - the sinister music, the platitudes of the narration like its trying to explian to those exact kids how radiation works, and all the other faux naivity you have to filter out to get to it that really pisses me off. The BBC made me livid with their coverage at the time. The whole burden of rolling news "stay tuned!" clearly dulled their journalistic sense. Instead it was cliff hanger after cliffhanger. And when it stopped delivering fun teasers after about a week, they switched coverage like everything was suddenly resolved.

Anyways, heres that documentary i mentioned above. You may have already seen it, but this one is less about pulling on your heart strings for ratings, and more about the story of mapping the fallout and how thsi one stupid act of belligerence actually helped save lives.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVzX3gAxp58

Thanks ippy will watch that

I think you are being a bit harsh.

Yes some coverage was pretty awful.

But that documentary is far from being a big offender, I found it quite interesting.

There may be some :doh: comments, but remember that most people are stupid so need to be catered for.

We're probably a bit more educated on radiation now, ippy.

Sounds totally daft, but it was just emphasising a point.

The point being that some people moved to just a few outside the exclusion zone 'to be safe'.

Actually surely that's a fair point.

Yeah the images of that girl saying she wanted to go back, wanted to go back, getting used to living here..... while always taking almost involuntary sly glances back to the 'border' where her abandoned house is.

Said a lot.

As i say, i dont want anyone to feel like im attacking them for finding teh documentary interesting. Im not trying to sneer at you for liking it. My suspicion is you liked it though DESPITE the shit you had to wade through and filter out.

And lines like that are prime examples. You dont have to be educated beyond primary school level to know that the exclusion zone is not a forcefield or a containment dome or that there are people with nets creating a big ring around the exclusion zone and capturing all the stray lumps of radiation as they try to fly past the exclusion zone.

Its a massively patronising statement and with the music at the start it just helped cement that this documentary was far more cynical and sensationalist than i feel it should have been.

As for the point being fair, of course. But its how its made here thats the issue.

Take for example the other doc that i posted up. It makes the exact same point but it makes it this way...

The dude travels around charting the radiation and finds a radiation hotspot far beyond the exclusion zone. Inside the boundaries of that hotspot are a few families who have decamped to a community center. They are there because they followed the advice of the government and got out of the exclusion zone. the dude explained to them that they were actually SAFER in their house than they were in the community center. This not only helps make the point above, but it also educates the viewer on the fact that its not actually a straight line here and that certain environmental features such as hills and mountains also impact on how the radiation will disperse. It was an intelligent and well constructed point, but it wasnt set up, it wasnt stage managed. It just so happened he was (by his own initiative) in the area creating a radiation map to help people understand that very issue.

I swear to god im not suggesting that anyone is an idiot for finding the documentary from the kids sad, harrowing and informative. It will be all of those things, only that i personally found it far too sensationalist and lacking in genuine sensitivity towards its subject material.

The music at teh start was also incredibly silly, and lines like that also helped push it (for me) over the line of information into edutainment. And that of course helped reinforce the distaste i felt whilst watching the coverage from the rolling news at the time.

And lines like that are prime examples. You dont have to be educated beyond primary school level to know that the exclusion zone is not a forcefield or a containment dome or that there are people with nets creating a big ring around the exclusion zone and capturing all the stray lumps of radiation as they try to fly past the exclusion zone.

Perhaps someone should tell the authorities about this.

And those people that moved literally just a few km to be 'outside of the zone'.

They might be in danger.

:veryshocked:

i agree. I honestly wish i could, but its just one of those things i cant switch off im afraid. :) Its why i write stupidly long posts about things that really warrant only a paragraph at most. I mean, how much does anyone really need to know about a snowboard? :D

haha, 4 hours... i reckon i saw enough to get a picture and write a small dissertation on it.

Anyway, sorry for the threadcrap. Ignore me, i just get my knickers in a twist about things sometimes. :)

I watched the one about the children last night (ippy's favorite by far, lol j/k).

Those kids are definately going through a tough time though, seeing things that most wont in a lifetime. The one little girl thought the meter was a charm (or something), she has no idea what seems to be going on.

Also for someone to lose all their classmates has to be devastating (the little boy).

I've never seen (i dont think) a documentary from the childs perspective, so it was interesting. I'll check out ippys documentary this weekend.

Had a thought, maybe start a thread with links to all the clips/videos about 3/11. I'd like to watch a few more when i have time, and would be good to have a central place to find them. Just a thought :)

a bunch of my mates are up in Ishinomaki helping with the clear up this weekend.

That's good of them.

I should do that too, note to self.

One of the news programs I watched over the weekend mentioned that the number of volunteers is slowly dwindling, as well as donations. Good on you if you do go to help out :thumbsup: