Silly amounts of snow during the journey from Muikamachi to Hakuba

I got up early this morning, setting out for Hakuba at about 5:30am, arriving before 8:30am.

It was very interesting cutting across from our part of Niigata into Hakuba and seeing how much snow different areas have.

Muikamachi > Ishiuchi --- huge amounts of snow;

Ishiuchi > Nakasato --- silly amounts of snow (silly = more than huge amounts of snow);

Nakasato > Tsunan --- ridiculously silly amounts of snow;

Tsunan > Sakae --- even sillier than that;

Sakae > Nozawa --- probably the silliest. Nothing has ever been sillier. Seriously, the walls were getting on for 5+m in some places!

Nozawa > Iiyama --- silly amounts of snow;

Iiyama > Nagano --- getting much less very quickly as approach Nagano city;

Around Nagano --- almost no snow in places;

Nagano > near Hakuba --- not much at all really;

Hakuba --- quite a lot, but I would say generally 1/3 of what there is around Tsunan/Nozawa area and probably about half what we have in Muikamachi.

Still in Hakuba.

I am happy with my timing - got amazing blue skies this morning, I was very excited.

What a truly stunning backdrop Hakuba has.

:dance:

You wouldnt believe how handy this is! Ive been wondering where to take my mate on his first trip in japan. I was thinking between nozawa, hakuba, or myoko.

Im pretty sure i might just head to nozawa then purely on the basis of your driving down the roads just from the picture youre painting here. (:

Myoko is pretty mad as well of course, but I don't go through Myoko on the way to Hakuba.

Sadly, I didn't take any photos - I was in a bit of a are-we-there-yet, are-we-there-yet, want-to-take-photos-of-mountains kind of speedy rush to get here! :lol:

Maybe on the way back but I suspect it will be dark then.

:doh:

Some impressive snow walls though that's for sure. If impressive snow walls is a requirement, I would certainly choose Nozawa or Myoko.

it just bears out with all the data on the site... hakuba seems to be having a poor one comparatively speaking (though i doubt anyones complaining), compared to nozawa and myoko (though its doing a lot better than shiga kogen). Either way, just had a look at the weather report and only really a small tiny topping on thursday so this weekend is kinda rubbish anyway. The weekend after hes on training i think, so two weeks to pray for snow. I seriously want this dude to get to play in some powder before it all starts getting a bit cruddy.

Obviously, these are general observations of how much snow places have at town levels as I drove through these places.

Just before anyone potentially gets uppity about it. ;)

Hakuba wins hands down in terms of that stunning mountain range looming over it. Minamiuonuma mountains will look weeny when I get back! Hope my pics from today come out good.

"Sakae > Nozawa --- probably the silliest"

Poor Sakae. Hit by a Shindo 6+ quake March 11th one year and then recent record levels of snow the next. With lots of elderly people living there, I doubt the huge snowfall is much cause for celebration in Sakae.

Nakasato-mura is a small village next to Ishiuchi (Minamiuonuma) on the other side of the mountain on Route 353, so when muikabochi goes to Nozawa/ShigaKogen/Hakuba etc he comes over that way.

Actually it's not officially Nakasato-mura anymore, as it is now part of Tokamachi-shi. Let's gappei!

The snow walls around Hakuba are not as high this year. It has been a strange year, we have had plenty of top ups but not the huge snowfalls that regularly come in winter.

On the drive through Otari, next village to Hakuba, where Hakuba Cortina is located then the snow walls are much more impressive!

Actually I think I posted last year about this, but every time I have been to Hakuba the walls have been considerably smaller than in these parts.

I think Hakkers just doesn't get 'em like we do in town here, bottom line.

:p

When I was in Hakuba last year Mid Feb, the snow walls really were not that high at all, rather disappointed actually! When I compare it to other parts of Nagano or of course Niigata there is simply no comparison! I think the most snow I have ever seen was in Tsunan, simply massive amounts there!

• 1 month later...

Thought this might be the place...

Just on the Niigata news, apparently this winter there was 1.8 times the amount of snow in Niigata than the average in the last 5 seasons.

That's all I got from it, hardly scientific but there you go!

From the JMA records for Niigata city it was the snowiest winter since 1986. Since 1953 (when the records begin) there's only been 5 winters with more snowfall than this season. It was a big one for that part of the world! They have recorded 304cm of snowfall. Compare that to only 16cm in 2006/2007 which was the lowest ever recorded. The highest was 422cm in 1983/1984 season.

Wakkanai in the far NW of Hokkaido had it's 2nd snowiest winter on record. The snowiest was recorded in 2009/2010.

We didn't get 1.8 in this particular area, but I can believe it for others.

To the north in Uonuma, Ojiya and Nagaoka there has been clearly more than usual.

One thing for sure as well....... It's taking it's time to melt away. Not warming as much as usual, lots of my bike roads are still blocked off with snow which is very unusual for mid April. Lots of diggers out breaking up the snow as well more than usual, farmers aren't liking it. Still well over 1m behind my house, even with today's horrid rain.

• SnowJapan Admin

I think we'll definitely wrap up and update the JMA Kutchan snowfall numbers in the Now report at the end of the season, so it'll be there for the record.

:friend:

Still lots around these parts yes, it just isn't melting very quickly at all.