I see news of a snowboarder died buried in snow at Kandatsu Kogen in Yuzawa (Niigata) yesterday - he was found in resort, on one of the advanced courses, half buried in snow.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/daily/yuzawa-now.php

More here:

26日午前、湯沢町のスキー場で、埼玉県の会社員の男性が雪に埋もれているのが見つかり、まもなく死亡が確認されました。

警察は男性がスノーボードをしている最中に誤って転倒したとみて調べています。

26日午前10時50分ごろ、湯沢町の神立高原スキー場で、スノーボードの板をつけたまま体の一部が雪に埋もれている男性をパトロール中のスキー場のスタッフが見つけました。

男性は病院に運ばれましたが、まもなく死亡が確認されました。

警察の調べによりますと、亡くなったのは埼玉県川口市の会社員、高野功さん(27)で、家族の話では1人でスキー場に来て、26日朝からスノーボードをしていたということです。

高野さんが見つかったのは上級者向けのコースで、26日はおよそ1メートル80センチの雪が積もっていたということです。

警察は高野さんが誤って転倒し、雪に埋もれて窒息死したのではないかとみて、当時の詳しい状況を調べています。

Please guys be VERY careful. We went on a roadie today, early on I was riding with two guys and we checked out a place, I just couldn't see a way out and passed, they spent two hours with skins getting out, I would have been screwed on my board. As it was had another 20 min plus climb.

Terrible news.

We were talking about this scenario last season on this forum.

Being on your own, or your buddy loosing sight of you, and getting buried and suffocating.

Above news translation summury, 27 yo male, occupation office worker, went snowboarding on his own according to family members.

He was found buried on an advanced run with snowboards still on him, part of body buried. Snow report approx 180 cm locally.

Police (at this moment) assumes he died from suffocation.

Very sad story to hear. Had a bit of a worrisome time myself today at kagura on the Panorama course. It was DEEP and soft, I fell upside down, snow on top of me, luckily I was able to right myself and free my board, but I sank right into the snow. Anytime I tried to put any weight on the snow I sank further in, in the end I used my board as a liferaft and squirmed out of a hole that was neck deep in the end and I hadn't touched anywhere near solid ground. I was not far from the course either, on a run that I've done many. times before that leads into one of my fave tree runs up there. Be safe out there people!

That´s freaky TB.

Last time me and missus went boarding, I lost missus for 5 min.

It was at the bottom of the run, I saw it is rather long and flat section, so I straight lined down to get out of the deep stuff and to the T- bar station. I waited at the bottom and I started getting worried. I was about to get back on the T- bar to see if I can spot her. I knew she was stuck.

Then she caught up, covered in snow. She said she had to swim and drag herself out.

I am thinking, it just might be a good idea to carry lightweight snowshoes, just for powder purpose. Maybe one of us might have to walk up in deep snow one of these days.

Yeah, I had to spend 10 mins digging myself out of powder yesterday (it was bottomless :lol: ) and that was in the middle of a run!

I quit the Yamabiko trees after just two runs because the tree wells were looking very scary and there weren't many people up there.

Fortunately, I'm always snowboarding with my brother... This year though we're going to buy walkie talkies at Donki before coming up. We've been seperated a couple of times over the years, and it always freaks me out, because there's all the the "What if"... What if he's been taken out by a ski schooler and fallen down the side of a mountain.... etc.

Poor bugger. I suppose if you get squared up as a boarder and then go head first, it could be impossible to get out by yourself. You could be right next to a run even.

My worst experience was on telemark skis. Because of the free heel, you can fall directly forwards flat on your face in the direction you're going. The forward momentum can make you tunnel into the snow. In my case it was only about 40cm under, but I got a big mouthful of snow and was pretty shaken up.

Reading the above posts makes you realise that none of us are invincible when nature is involved doesn't matter how long you have been boarding or skiing and how many tree runs we have all conquered, without know anyone on here personally I am sure there is plenty of experience but then you hear devastating news like this, lets hope for all our sakes we don't have to read about anything like this again....ride / ski free but ride / ski safe and smart....

I read this thread sitting on the gondola at Kamui today. I was riding in the deep powder all day by myself with pretty much no one around. I'm a skier but this topic was certainly on my mind all afternoon. Be careful.

Yeah. This makes me think twice... very sad news. I actually read it yesterday but didn't let the wife know until we were driving back this afternoon. Stuff like that really freaks her out... especially when she watches the videos of some of the places I like to board.

I've seen a few boarders stuck head-first while others ride merrily by. Last week we were stopped on the lift and saw someone bail off the side of the run directly below us. Despite (or maybe due to) us shouting at the 10 or so boarders who rode directly past the guy for 10 mins, no-one even slowed down to check how he was. By the time we reached him a good 15 mins later, he had pulled himself out with his head above the snow, but he was completely gassed.

After reading this news on the train home on Tuesday, my buddy and I have tightened up our protocols a little, and I like the idea of walkies. I've even started to look at the Avalung for everyday skiing.