After having to pull the pin on skiing Niseko in March this year have locked in and booked Niseko for Jan 2012 with the family in tow. Hope it lives up to the hype in the threads which have been an invaluable source of information in helping us make our decision around accommodation etc.

Roll on January

Originally Posted By: Go Native
Great year to come. It's going to be the quiestest season in terms of crowds for many years.

Interesting. Accommodation places were pushing for full payments quite early and some of our accommodation selections were unavailable. Maybe my preferences in accommodation are not so exclusive after all

You will love it. Even if you think it will be quiet, maybe pre-book some restaurants regardless. Kakashi is a must (Hirafu upper village). Unsure where you are staying, but if you are dropping the kids into ski school in Hanozono then you are primed for hitting Strawberry Fields early. Have fun

Originally Posted By: Nisoko
Originally Posted By: Fbs1960
Accommodation places were pushing for full payments quite early

What a surprise!!! wink

Not surprising, however when competing for the tourist dollar it can influence the decision making process.
Determined the accommodation I selected as I have an issue with people demanding full payment in August as opposed to 50% at booking with the balance 8 weeks later with no compromise on level of accommodation.
Originally Posted By: ponyrider
You will love it. Even if you think it will be quiet, maybe pre-book some restaurants regardless. Kakashi is a must (Hirafu upper village). Unsure where you are staying, but if you are dropping the kids into ski school in Hanozono then you are primed for hitting Strawberry Fields early. Have fun

I've never really understood this. Although TBF I've only been to Niseko once and there were only 3 of us, but it was during the supposedly choc-a-bloc Chinese New Year, but we didn't have any problems getting in to any place we wanted to eat.
Originally Posted By: TubbyBeaverinho
I've never really understood this. Although TBF I've only been to Niseko once and there were only 3 of us, but it was during the supposedly choc-a-bloc Chinese New Year, but we didn't have any problems getting in to any place we wanted to eat.

It really depends on the restaurant and the time you want to get in. Having been involved in booking restaurants for clients over the years I can assure you that many in peak season were extremely hard to get into, especially for larger groups. Still there's so many places to eat in Hirafu or Kutchan you certainly should always be able to find a table.
This coming season I doubt it's going to be much of an issue at all...

Yeah I get that, and I was bricking it when we went but actually anytime we wanted dinner, post onsen about 7pm, we didn't see any probs. No Q's, nobody milling around looking for a place, able to get in anywhere. But like I say we were only 3 ppl

Awesome! Congrats.

If you see me out there wave me down and I would be happy to help show you the good spots. You're going to have a blast, the snow is great people are nice and the beer is good too!

Nah man, almost certainly not this season. The exchange rate is just to brutal at the moment. Unless my plan to win the lottery pans out, don't think it's gonna happen smile

Going to try and hit a few new places in the States and Canada though.

• 2 weeks later...