Niseko mid December or early January. Will it matter?

Planning to ski with family in Niseko either Dec 9th to 20th (approx) or early Jan around 6th to 16th.

Have read a couple of posts that Dec may be risky as less snow. December is more cost effective than Jan, however pointless if there is little snow. Is December a greater risk of no snow?

Appreciate your comments. FBS

As they said.

The better news is that things aren't fully booked up as they would otherwise be this time of year. Lots of people who may well end up going are holding off this time and there is a decent chance of lots of late bookings this time round.

One thing I would point out with Niseko is that you need at least 1m of snow on the ground before you can really start venturing off-piste And that's prefferably 1m at the base.

If you're only going to ski on-piste obviously this isn't a concern and in most years by mid December there is more than enough snow to ski most, if not all of the piste runs. The first week of December can be a bit iffy but by mid month it's normally going well. If you want to venture off-piste though I would recommend coming in Jan as there should be more than enough snow by then to ski most of the mountain including the slopes off the Peak.

Originally Posted By: BagOfCrisps
I'm actually tempted by March.

It almost seems as decent a chance as February looking at some recent years.

Last March was definitely hit or miss. It got pretty warm a few days and cold some others. I would be careful and be advised it's not guaranteed like Jan/Feb.
Originally Posted By: MitchPee

Last March was definitely hit or miss. It got pretty warm a few days and cold some others. I would be careful and be advised it's not guaranteed like Jan/Feb.

I've had sunshine and pow four out of the five Marches I've been involved with Hokkaido.
Originally Posted By: MikePow
Originally Posted By: MitchPee

I've had sunshine and pow four out of the five Marches I've been involved with Hokkaido.

Last Jan I went to Hokkaido for 17 days, and it pretty much puked snow for 14 of those days (which is more than fine in the trees), so 14/17.
I went back in Feb for 9 days and got 2/9 good powder days.
Then again in March for 5, and I got 1 day of good powder, some ice, and some nice slush. so 1/5
So in my experience of last winter in terms of powder in Hokkaido, Jan>>Feb>>Mar

Well on my first trip I went in mid to late Dec. I was a day short from the first major dump of the season and despite the fact there was little snow (as far as the locals said) there was enough to keep a first timer happy) on the 2nd trip (and future trips due to work commitments in Jan) I go during FEB. it's like Dear Penthouse for boarders

I would like to think about a small local trip (around Tokyo area) in late Dec but I don't know how things will be then

Lets face it, there's a ton of luck. Even January has been known to be a bit unreliable in the past. But even saying that January would be da best. Usually around New Year or just before/after things kick off in style.