Why do some gaijin want to become Japanese?

As in officially change nationality to Japanese?

I can't quite work out what advantages they would get from doing that.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I respect the Japanese position even if I don't agree with it. Every sovereign nation has the right to decide who comes to reside within their borders and what the terms of that arrangement are. It's

It's obvious! It allows you to forge a career based on the fact that Japanese people think nationality is determined by race, and constantly surprising and humiliating them by showing them how wrong they are.

You have to be prepared to go about with a video camera and inject yourself into situations where petty officials are likely to ask to see your ID. You have to have a little patter ready that tends to elicit slightly cringe-worthy behaviour from the official. And you have to have quite a bit of gall and a burning conviction that what you're doing is important in the big scheme of things.

Also if you have another talent like football or sumo, it used to be the done thing.

From Wikipedia;

The Minister of Justice must approve any application for naturalization in order for it to occur. Review of an application generally takes about one year.

The criteria for naturalization are provided in Article 5 of the Nationality Act:[5]

Continuous residence in Japan for five years or more

At least 21 years old and otherwise legally competent

History of good behavior generally, and no past history of seditious behavior

Sufficient capital or skills, either personally or within family, to support oneself

Stateless or willing to renounce foreign citizenship

The Minister of Justice may waive the age and residence requirements if the applicant has a special relationship to Japan (for example, a Japanese parent).

The Nationality Act also provides that the Diet of Japan may confer Japanese nationality by special resolution to a person who has provided extraordinary service to Japan. However, this provision has never been invoked.

For many years naturalized citizens were required to adopt a Japanese family name.[6] This requirement was abolished in the late 1980s.

--------------------

The good behaviour clause means that if you've taken more than three umbrellas that weren't yours from in front of shops, you can't become Japanese. I'm eligible because I've still only taken two.

Originally Posted By: JellyBelly
Naturalization! Sounds like getting your balls cut off or something.

In Japan if you want to get your balls cut off, you have to have a letter from your wife permitting it.

I think the real question is why wouldn't you? What is stopping you if you are committed to living out the rest of your life in Japan? It shows a strong commitment to the country you have decided to live in and you are rewarded with every right that a native Japanese has.

So if you are intending on living in Japan for the rest of your life why wouldn't you become a Japanese citizen?

Although you are meant to give up your birth countrys' citizenship, from what I've read it appears pretty easy to get around this. Certainly I think if the Japanese allowed dual citizenship you'd see a lot more people naturalizing.

I would have happily given up my Australian citizenship to become Japanese. I wouldn't have got through the process though as my Japanese language skills weren't anywhere near good enough.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
I think the real question is why wouldn't you? What is stopping you if you are committed to living out the rest of your life in Japan? It shows a strong commitment to the country you have decided to live in and you are rewarded with every right that a native Japanese has.
So if you are intending on living in Japan for the rest of your life why wouldn't you become a Japanese citizen?
Although you are meant to give up your birth countrys' citizenship, from what I've read it appears pretty easy to get around this. Certainly I think if the Japanese allowed dual citizenship you'd see a lot more people naturalizing.

Why would you want to 'show commitment to the country'? What sort of vague bullshit sentiment is that? And unless you kept waving it in people's faces, how on earth would they be aware of your commitment anyway?

I would do it if it were more convenient than my current status, but convenience would be the only factor.
Originally Posted By: Ocean11

Why would you want to 'show commitment to the country'? What sort of vague bullshit sentiment is that? And unless you kept waving it in people's faces, how on earth would they be aware of your commitment anyway?

I would do it if it were more convenient than my current status, but convenience would be the only factor.

Vague bullshit? It's a bit like saying what kind of vague bullshit is marriage. It's mostly symbolic but symbols can be powerful. Most western nations (like the ones we are from) would expect people living in their country for the rest of their lives to naturalize I'd think. Certainly uncommon for people to move to Australia for instance to live out their lives there and not become Australian citizens.
Now if you don't expect to live out the remainder of your life in Japan then I can fully understand not becoming a Japanese citizen. But if you do intend to stay forever why on earth would you not become a citizen??
Most western nations (like the ones we are from) would expect people living in their country for the rest of their lives to naturalize I'd think.

Really?
Hmmmm, I wouldn't.
I'd expect them to fit into society, for sure.

Never really put much thought into it to be honest. I don't really know where my future lies, so it just isn't an important thing for me.

What's the process of choosing a Japanese name if you want one anyway? confused

Could I be Muika Bochi? wink

Do I have to learn to bow properly and suck in before saying 'muzukashii desu ne' to show my 'commitment' to Japan.

That would really suck.

And if I become Japanese, are other Japanese people banned from commenting on how well I can use chopsticks? It might be worth it just for that!

wink

It's a bit like saying what kind of vague bullshit is marriage.

Not at all. You can make a real commitment to a person, which generally works better within some sort of formalized framework. With something as big and amorphous as a country, it's just ... vague bullshit. (Sarah Palin is a good example of where that sort of thing leads.)

When you make this 'commitment' to Japan, what does that mean? Are you going to fight for the country? Spy for it? Throw your electoral weight behind some politician? Pay taxes? What would you do as a citizen that you wouldn't otherwise do?
Originally Posted By: @tokyo
Most western nations (like the ones we are from) would expect people living in their country for the rest of their lives to naturalize I'd think.

Really?
Hmmmm, I wouldn't.
I'd expect them to fit into society, for sure.

Fit into society but not as a citizen? Personal choice of course... though I would have thought citizenship IS fitting in, officially lol

Very interesting points of view here smile

How does just getting some piece of paper from the town office and perhaps changing your name make you fit in? You can still do that and not fit in by most people's meaning of the phrase.

Surely fitting is more a case of joining in and taking part in your neighbourhood and society in general.

Originally Posted By: Ocean11
It's a bit like saying what kind of vague bullshit is marriage.

Not at all. You can make a real commitment to a person, which generally works better within some sort of formalized framework. With something as big and amorphous as a country, it's just ... vague bullshit. (Sarah Palin is a good example of where that sort of thing leads.)

When you make this 'commitment' to Japan, what does that mean? Are you going to fight for the country? Spy for it? Throw your electoral weight behind some politician? Pay taxes? What would you do as a citizen that you wouldn't otherwise do?

Are you saying there is no difference to just living somewhere as a resident/visitor and being a citizen? Or that being a citizen (from birth or otherwise) does not entail any commitment?
Originally Posted By: brit-gob
How does just getting some piece of paper from the town office and perhaps changing your name make you fit in? You can still do that and not fit in by most people's meaning of the phrase.

Surely fitting is more a case of joining in and taking part in your neighbourhood and society in general.

Well you swear an allegiance, take an oath, fly/salute that flag sing the national anthem as your own etc (at least here) obviously that isn't really worth all that much to a lot of people these days grandpa
Originally Posted By: Tex

you swear an allegiance;
take an oath;
fly/salute that flag;
sing the national anthem as your own etc (at least here)

I don't do any of those things.
In fact, I find them all pretty cringeworthy.