I have just come back from doing some errands - bank, post office, a few shops. It's getting pretty muggy outside and I was sweating pretty bad by the time I got back. It really wasn't pleasant and glad to be back to home.

It made me wonder how some of you guys and gals manage with commutes on busy trains and walking around to get from place to place in the city especially in this kind of weather. I suppose I'm just used to living here in the countryside, but it sounds like something I would never be prepared to do again after living like this.

I know I surely miss out on some of the fun bits of living in a city or more built up place, but I love living here. Other than the times the ground has rumbled, I can't think of a better kind of place to live.

I just wanted to say that.

friend

I sort of live in both. Well part of the year in Zao and part of the year near Yamagata City. I enjoy benefit of both but do enjoy being in the quiet relaxed atmoshpere of an onsen village.

smile

I'm so torn. I love the city, but at the same time I love being in desolate areas and not being reminded of how materialist people are. It's a tough debate for me.

2 and a half hours, anywhere in Japan and I would think you are near A big town!

I don't like these hot months I really don't. Not nice. Always a relief to land in Manchester late July.

I'd really love to live somewhere quieter and out of the city.

I think I have had enough of the old city life, done it now.

Ideal is to be fairly close to some good snow, but not buried by it. And able to get to the city fairly easily but like said above pretty much everywhere is close in a way.

Originally Posted By: pie-eater
2 and a half hours, anywhere in Japan and I would think you are near A big town!

I don't like these hot months I really don't. Not nice. Always a relief to land in Manchester late July.

That's true...Good point!!

After living in Hirafu and Kutchan there's no way I could ever live in a city again. I just couldn't and definitely wouldn't. Whilst waiting for our stuff to arrive from Japan we have been spending a fair bit of time at my wifes' parents place in Melbourne and visiting friends. I really didn't like being in the city. Where we bought our house though is great. Within minutes we are at a beautiful surf beach or a spectacular inlet. One minute drive the other way and we're in rolling green hills and farmland. Lots of dairying here. I need to be close to natural beauty to be happy and that's pretty hard to find in most cities. I prefer that natural beauty to be mountains with snow but nice beaches aren't too bad to put up with.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
After living in Hirafu and Kutchan there's no way I could ever live in a city again. I just couldn't and definitely wouldn't. Whilst waiting for our stuff to arrive from Japan we have been spending a fair bit of time at my wifes' parents place in Melbourne and visiting friends. I really didn't like being in the city. Where we bought our house though is great. Within minutes we are at a beautiful surf beach or a spectacular inlet. One minute drive the other way and we're in rolling green hills and farmland. Lots of dairying here. I need to be close to natural beauty to be happy and that's pretty hard to find in most cities. I prefer that natural beauty to be mountains with snow but nice beaches aren't too bad to put up with.

So are you officially out of Japan then GN? Sorry, if you've already said something about it.

the trains Air-con is still on, not as cold but not warm. To be fair I don't live in the city either. I used to work in Yokohama but have moved jobs to Kamakura. Outside my classroom window is the forested hills that surround kamakura. I live 5 mins bike from the beach and a 10 minute cycle north up the river takes me into paddy fields and greenery. I like where I live because its semi-city living.....I'm 20 mins from Yokohama and 40 mins from Tokyo station (by train) but I'm also on the beach and another 40 mins the opposite direction takes me to the Tanzawa mountains

Our days are defo numbered living in Munich.

Can´t believe I have been here nearly 4 years. The city gives me the shits. Would I like to travel to see another city!? No Way.

Fairly countryside where I am here as I am in the mountains north of Kofu, but have to say it was way to humid for me today. Although can be hot here in June usually zero humidity until about the first week of July, then it is humid during the day through to end of August.

Nice outside now, but was punishing outside today.

I too could not go back to living in a big city, I love the countryside to much, plus can't do farming in the middle of a concrete jungle.

Looking at this thread again...

I really love where I live. Salt Lake City is in one of the most diverse landscapes I have ever seen. Red Rock Desert to the south, Forest and lakes to the north, mountains/forests to the east and west, and a really unique brown-desert landscape to the west as well.

I live in a neighborhood amongst college students, families, lesbian partners, new couples. I have Mexican neighbors, black neighbors, white neighbors, etc. I really enjoy the diversity of the city. Even though Salt Lake isn't Los Angeles, it still has enough diversity to get an interesting mix of culture.

It takes me about 10 minutes to bike downtown, and some of the best mountain biking trails are accessible just be riding the trolley just up the hill and pedaling the rest of the way. Snowbird, Alta, Park City, Deer Valley, the Canyons, Brighton, and Solitude are all within a 35-40 minute drive from my house.

Plus I get to wake up and see this out my window:

600_Salt_Lake_City,_UT_skyline-Twin_Peak

I am always searching though. I loved living in Niseko and the close knit communities. I grew up in two polar areas, one urban and one small town. I've had the tug of war between both my whole life.

Originally Posted By: snowdude
Fairly countryside where I am here as I am in the mountains north of Kofu, but have to say it was way to humid for me today. Although can be hot here in June usually zero humidity until about the first week of July, then it is humid during the day through to end of August.
Nice outside now, but was punishing outside today.
I too could not go back to living in a big city, I love the countryside to much, plus can't do farming in the middle of a concrete jungle.

Isn't Kofu supposed to be one of the hottest places in Japan? I seem to recall them saying that on tv sometimes.
Originally Posted By: muikabochi
It made me wonder how some of you guys and gals manage with commutes on busy trains and walking around to get from place to place in the city especially in this kind of weather.

Not very well to be honest.
It's not fun.
I like to be firmly ensconsed in my office.
Getting to and from work is the worst bit.

I love living where we do for all the reasons mentioned. Hakuba's more "resort" than typical countryside though, and all the people who've come to live here (ninety x% of whom are Japanese) make it easier and more interesting. That said, I hope my kids will want to get out and see some of the world when they grow up. There's a lot out there.

Our neighbourhood is mainly over-seventy locals and from their stories, life was very very tough even in living memory. If the oil stopped coming, like Tohoku after the disaster, I guess things would degenerate very quickly.

What exactly is the "countryside"? Around here, people say they live in the countryside (inaka) but its still a city of 200,000. I spent a year living in the Canadian countryside which meant the nearest shop was over an hour drive. The nearest neighbour was a 20 minute drive. I think I prefer living on the edge of a small town rather than the actual countryside...